Pop...pop,pop...pop,pop,pop.....

Engine troubles? Try here.
Roverchef
Germany

Pop...pop,pop...pop,pop,pop.....

Post by Roverchef »

Any good diagnostics for knowing when your Petronix is taking a crap...without blindly installing a new unit?
edzz
United States of America

Re: Pop...pop,pop...pop,pop,pop.....

Post by edzz »

Roverchef wrote:Pop...pop,pop...pop,pop,pop.....
Sounds like an intake and or exaust leak to me.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Cracked distributor cap or defective rotor? Bad coil wire or spark plug/wire?
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Alright...here it goes. New civilian ignition(wires,cap,rotor,plugs,petronix). Rebuilt carbs and even new thick carb to manifold gaskets, sync'd to 9 w/ idle @ 900-925rpm, timing set @ 10 BTDC, 160 across the board for compression, adjusted valves, fresh oil/filter, fuel lines/filter, air filter, removed/jumped 4500 limiter, and even rotated the air in the tires. It fires up great and idles perfect for about 10min and then when it's warm it starts to pop out the tailpipe...not consistant but about every 10 seconds you'll get it to pop. Not an exhaust leak either. If I watch the timing light on the mark...when it pops the mark jumps outta sight and then comes right back. I've sprayed the carbs and intake for air leaks with no evail. Everything is firing and it's not like having a dead hole(cylinder). I took it for a run and it's fine until 3rd and then it boggs down with no power. If I drop it to 2nd it picks up again. And popping along the way. I don't know how it ran before all of this since I just got it less then a month ago and it was sitting in storage for 5yrs before that. I don't think the new tires, fresh paint, and full fluid flush through-out has any effect on this either. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

what coil?
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Coil...is my answer as well
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Had similar prob on 2 pinz's,coil.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

The super-duper-POOPER one from Scott. Flame thrower I think. The ohms are 3-4 across the terminals which is within measurement I think.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Roverchef wrote:The ohms are 3-4 across the terminals which is within measurement I think.
Was this measurement taken when cold or after the engine had been run long enough for the problem to present its self?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Those Flame-Throwers were known for failing. EI used to have recall info on their site, but I couldn't find it now. Here's a link to the mfgr: http://www.pertronix.com/default.aspx

I found bad one on a friend's truck, and even though he didn't have the invoice (it had come with the truck), Pertronix warrantied it for him. I don't recall the correct way to test them. I'd check with them for the specs. They were great to work with.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

edzz wrote:
Roverchef wrote:The ohms are 3-4 across the terminals which is within measurement I think.
Was this measurement taken when cold or after the engine had been run long enough for the problem to present its self?
It was taken when cold...good thought. I'll check tomorrow when I get to the shop. The coil I "JUST" got from EI looks just like the recalled one's. Keep'em coming ya'll.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

OH,one of my failures was a Pertronix coil. :(
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Ya won't believe what I found! The only thing that had been done to this Pinzy before I got it...besides letting it sit for 5yrs was a petronix. Not the whole package...just the ignitor to get rid of the points. It still had all the shielded cap and rest of the ignition. When I bought the rest of the civilian stuff I didn't look very hard at the internals besides making sure that the magnetic ring was seated all the way down on the shaft. After futher inspection I found that the magnetic ring looked like it had a scratch on the side of it. When I went to remove it (drum-roll) it just slid right off and crumbled in my hand. I think that the previous installer did not line it up right on the shaft and cracked it. I'm surprised that it ran at all! After putting on a new ring the pop...pop,pop...pop,pop,pop has gone away and the power that I was missing has returned. Thank you everyone for the input and I'm sure I'll have more ???'s down the road.