crankcase ventilation

Engine troubles? Try here.
JNijst
Netherlands

Re: crankcase ventilation

Post by JNijst »

Hi Pinz brothers...

I have finalyy finished the Jake Raby's EFI kit and will write an article for the tech section. But that is also where I ran in the problem, where do I leave the breather hose that previously went to the two carburators to be re-digested and processed.
Attached is a page from a Dutch car website with a lot of sensible info. I ran into this page and used setup nr 2 : Crank-casebreather with non-returnvalve before, and restriction after the gasvalve. It works and will send pictures of this in case someone is interested. HOWEVER... The EFI runs perfect on the road, started first time etc... BUT when the engine heats up, idling rpm goes towards 2000. Suspect a false air leak somewhere, but the present set-up is pretty restricted and need to work on it...
So not sure if it is because of the new breather set-up or a false air leak , so bear with me ...
Please do not copy the page-picture I sent along, the website owner spefically asks everyone not to do this. he spent a lot of effort on it and hate for him to see his work spread out on thje internet. Just use for your personal needs please.
Some parts were not translated:
Luchtfilter = air filter
Drukregelklep = pressure control valve
Olieafscheider = oil catch can
gasklep = throttle body
Terugslagklep = oneway valve
Restrictie = restriction smother
carter ventilation.jpg
carter ventilation.jpg (285.79 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Last edited by JNijst on Tue May 21, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

OK one picture...
It attches underneath the throttlebody, the 12 mm breatherhose is via a one-way-valve going before the butterfly-valve and the 'smothered' small 6 mm hose after the butterfly valve to "better airflow over the throttle body"
Weather it all helps... I also have a small oilcather-can installed, no picture as yet, but if wanted I will make a picture and show how to install that one.
Remember this is all for the EFI setup, with the carbs I would leave everything as is... and also believe the oilfiller tube works as a oil misty catcher...

Jules
Attachments
IMG_20240423_091632.jpg
IMG_20240423_091632.jpg (317.26 KiB) Viewed 259 times
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Just remembered...without the airfilter, I put my hand on the suction inlet of the throttlebody (where the butterfly valve is) and it immediately killed the engine, so I know there is no airleak AFTER that and that is WITH the setup of the picture above, which indicates that the above setup does not likely interfere with the 'high idling when engine hot' - problem...
Too much to mention all the details, but for the moment I need to check false air between the air-filter and the throttle-body...

Jules
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

So am I correct in thinking the Pinz is “type 1”? If so what do others think about feeding filtered air into the crankcase to get a little more ventilation? Maybe take air from the area by the alternator where it has a little head from the cooling fan?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Hugues
Switzerland

Post by Hugues »

JimmyC wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:51 pm So am I correct in thinking the Pinz is “type 1”? If so what do others think about feeding filtered air into the crankcase to get a little more ventilation? Maybe take air from the area by the alternator where it has a little head from the cooling fan?
It's also my understanding that our Pinz are Type 1.
How much overpressure do we normally have in the crankcase ?
Currently i have too much blow by due to a leaky cylinder 3,...so probably higher than normal.
Hugues
From Switzerland