Riddle

Engine troubles? Try here.
bikmakr
United States of America

Riddle

Post by bikmakr »

So I finally changed out my leaking oil pan gasket and to my surprise I find this spring thing stuck to the drain plug magnet.
(left in picture)I think it must be an oil scraper tension spring from a piston (compare to new piston on right).
The p.o. said that a "cylinder was replaced" at some point.

Question to the group: could this have come from an operating piston or was it a vestige of the event that precipitated
'cylinder was replaced" event? If anyone knows who Bill Gise is, his name was on the new piston that was in the box that came with the truck.

Engine runs great with 145psi across all cylinders

I wish people would document work to their vehicles so the next guy along doesn't have to go through these questions.

Thanks

IMG_1449 (3).jpg
IMG_1449 (3).jpg (154.61 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: Riddle

Post by Hotzenplotz »

If the rest of the ring and the spring get through between a piston and a cylinder there is no way your compression can be identcal across all cylinder.

I would assume the mechanic performing the repair was too lazy to remove the oil pan to check for debris
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

No way that would have come out of one of your piston without some
very serious side-effects, like scored walls etc. This has to be a lazy
boy remnant :lol:

Hey! How did your OD conversion hold up over the off-roading season??

ron
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

I had only a few trips off-road. The O.D. has worked flawlessly. I still want to make a skidplate/O.D. mount. To both support it and protect it. My concern is that a rear flexible mount may "conflict" with the way the original rear mount flexes. I don't want to place undue stress on the rear of the tranny.