Need help!

Engine troubles? Try here.
Ed Lasater

Need help!

Post by Ed Lasater »

I have a two fold question/problem:

I have a new to me 710M on my ranch near Hebbronville Texas (east of Laredo). While driving too fast on the ranch, I hit a big bump. I stopped the Pinz for a quick inspection of the windshield (which was folded down) while the Pinz continued to idle smoothly. Then I noticed the key had fallen out of the ignition while it was still running. I turned of the engine and then tried to restart. It turned over fine, but would not start. Tried multiple times, and could smell gas. We towed the Pinz back to the ranch house and tried too while towing (no starter just roll starting).

1) Any thoughts on the problem?

2) Any know of a shop near Hebbronville that has worked on Pinzgauers? I have heard that Trujillos in Falfurrias has done some work.

Ed
JimmyC

Re: Need help!

Post by JimmyC »

If the key is not in all the way it can fall out.

My guess is either the switch is turned off or the coil is burnt, either which would result in no spark at the spark plug and the motor not running. Neither is a hard problem to fix.

I suggest that you pull the coil wire out of the center of the distributor cap and set it so it is near something metal, like a 1/16" or so away, turn on the switch, and crank the engine. It should make a little blue spark. Post your answer and we can go from there.

Any mechanic that has worked on cars from the early 70s should be able to deal with this.

Note that a lot of Pinzgauers have had the factory ignition replaced with one of two aftermarket types. When you are looking at post about ignitions you have to figure out which one they are talking about.
Last edited by JimmyC on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

There is a shop in Victoria, Texas. Fritz's Auto (361)578-6195. He is very familiar with Pinzgauers. I've had my key fall out as well, when you insert the key make sure you push it ALL the way in and this shouldn't happen again. The key will still turn even if the key is only partially inserted. Did you let her sit a good while and try again? Sounds like she is flooded, very easy to do in my opinion. One of the many quirks of this vehicle. I have to constantly remind my self not to pump the gas peddle like you do on older carbed vehicles...
-1972 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am assuming you have the most common distributor that looks like this.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 6649 times
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Ed Lasater

Post by Ed Lasater »

Jimmy,

I will check on it. Part of the problem is that I am now 400 miles away from the Pinz at the ranch. I am communicating with my foreman who is not anymore mechanically inclined than I am (which is to say not at all).

Thank you for the quick replies. Hopefully it does not need to go to Victoria.

Ed
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The ignition key switch is prone to not making full contact with a "normal" turn; sometimes I have to very quickly turn the key with a "snap" to get the contacts to fully engage. Without the snap rotation it is as if I never turned the key at all.

Checking for spark as suggested is a good start. If no spark, check for power at the coil "+" terminal. No power there means either the switch is not engaged or other wiring issues.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Make sure you are turning the key all the way. Some Pinzgauer's have the ignition switch wired so in 1st position is allows the starter to spin but no power to the ignition. This allows the truck to be moved by the starter when off road or loading on a trailer without the engine starting. Second position will power both starter and ignition. Long shot but might be what you have. This is common on 404 Unimogs and some Pinzgauers. Depends on who has been in the dash.
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Ed Lasater

Post by Ed Lasater »

Sorry for the late response. I passed the recommendations to my foreman regarding making sure the key is fully engaged. No luck. We took the Pinz to a shop in Falfurrias that has worked on a Pinz before. Hopefully we won't have to go to Victoria (160 miles away).

Thank you for the advice.

Ed
Ed Lasater

Post by Ed Lasater »

It was the ignition switch. Easy replacement.

Next problem: one day we couldn't get the Pinz into 1st or reverse. The stick felt loose. I crawled up under the car and followed the shift linkage to the end. The shift linkage has a short (maybe 8 to 10 inch) linkage that terminates in a circular loop. I hooked the loop around a nearby polished steel ball, and a we were able to get back into 1st and reverse. I know my descriptions are bad, and my terminology is incorrect. However, I think there must be something else to hold that loop on the end of the short linkage to the ball on the transmission. It has come loose several times since the first time-easy to fix but very annoying.

Thanks for the help.

Ed
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The metal loop and the ball are intended to be a one piece unit, called a ball end or sometimes a rod end. It has worn, failed, and has fallen apart. Replace it, I've had the same issue on my trucks.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Order new bushings. Should be no need to buy complete linkage. I have ordered them from Scott at EI. Anyone that has not replaced or at least inspected the condition of thes bushings will likely experience this problem. Look at this thread for more info.http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ing#p35846
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Ed Lasater

Post by Ed Lasater »

Ordered bushings just now. Thanks again for the help.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Jimm391730 wrote:The metal loop and the ball are intended to be a one piece unit, called a ball end or sometimes a rod end. It has worn, failed, and has fallen apart. Replace it, I've had the same issue on my trucks.
I needed to replace mine last summer as well. Same symptoms as the OP: the gear stick felt very loose, gears 3-4-5 were still around, 2nd only part time and 1st-Reverse AWOL... Crawling under the truck I could push the linkage back into position, until it popped out again half a mile down the road.
I changed the whole linkage, couldn't find a source (at least not an obvious one) for just the bushings. I should have checked the forum... :oops:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M