how do i press the header couplers back together?

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

how do i press the header couplers back together?

Post by audiocontr »

I have not upgraded to the flex couplers on my exhaust, and the upper coupler has disconnected from the manifold. How do i press it back on? Do i need a special ring tool?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
one2many
Australia

Re: how do i press the header couplers back together?

Post by one2many »

No special tool required it should just push back in with a little force, getting the "right" angle will help a bit as would a little bit of spray lube. If its being really stubborn you could put a zippy clip, hose clamp or even a small piston ring compressor around it to compress the expansion rings but I wouldn't think you'd need to resort to this.

My Pinz ran so much better after I replaced these with a proper flex coupling that doesn't leak. Exhaust leaks so close to the cylinders tend to affect an engine much more than further down the system especially if the leaks are before the Y join...this prevents the intended "scavenging" effect from taking place.

I've also been told leaks close to the cylinder can lean out cylinders and burn exhaust valves and seats.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Maybe it's time to just replace with flex.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pinz ... dqgwqDM%3A

If your going to you have a choice of two kinds....the one that SAV has been selling for years which work well (I copied it). Or the one pictured above made from stainless braid, I saw it for sale recently but could only find this picture ATM.

I bought myself two short braided flex sections about 18 months ago for when I next have my exhaust off I planned to make this version as well. But I guess either is a vast improvement over a worn out original version.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)