Throttle linkage failure

Engine troubles? Try here.
GRCameron
United States of America

Throttle linkage failure

Post by GRCameron »

Went out this morning to start the 710M for a little offroad excursion with the kids who've flown in from Ca. for Christmas. "SNAP!" when I pressed on the throttle pedal. No throttle pedal connection to the carbs! Upon removing the engine cover I discovered that one of the linkage ball joints (the one closest to the pedal) had failed. It was 15 deg last night, so the 36 year old plastic may have become brittle.

I counted 6 ball joints in the linkage so I ordered 10 from SAV ($1.63 ea). Thought I'd have some spares on hand... I also ordered a shift linkage repair kit and related parts to bring shifting back to normal.

The disappointing thing is that I wanted the kids to experience the Pinz first hand rather than hearing the stories my wife and I tell them :(

I keep a roll of baling wire and duct tape on board for field expedient repairs like this, but I don't think it is a good idea to leave home jury rigged.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Throttle linkage failure

Post by Haf-e »

Yep - I've replaced all of mine as a preventative measure - and I suspect so did the Swiss Army - so I doubt if they were actually 30 years+ old.

There are some nice metal versions used on 70/80s Mercedes sedans I grabbed a couple of from a u-pull-it yard - but I haven't tried them out. The plastic ones work well enough and I keep a couple on hand for field repairs.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Here is an example from ebay - not sure if the threading for the rods are they same though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/set-8x-ball-joi ... 2222362104

Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Those look like the shift linkage connectors on a Hafi
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

The Unimog 404 uses the steel linkage ends. They are a direct replacement on the stock linkages.

http://www.expedition-imports.com/N071805008207

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Just replaced mine with the Unimog steel ones, as preventative measure. Very easy to do, and totally worth the $$ involved, which is not much.
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

I replaced mine too - very pleasing how much higher quality they are and apparently will outlast me.

question - mine didn't come with that "cotter-esq" pin that i see in the picture from ebay - did yours? they seem to stay on fine with out it, but the joints definitely have a space that would accept a pin.

thanks

rich
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

No pin, mine threaded onto the rod and I don't see how they would come off, that and a little locktite never hurts.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Interestingly, I had one of the short rods to the carbs unscrew and come loose while on the highway, one of my first long trips (3 days each direction). Still ran smooth but power dropped off and speed kept decreasing. Pulled off the side of the highway, thinking "Oh crap, what died?" pulled the doghouse and saw the hanging linkage. Fortunately it had just unscrewed and I was able to re-connect it and all was well. I did use locktite on them after that trip, and bought some spare ends in case one was to break. Never had a problem again with them!
Jim M.
712W and 710M