Oil breather hose size

Engine troubles? Try here.
kdiqq
United States of America

Oil breather hose size

Post by kdiqq »

I'm in the middle of removing the carbs and giving the engine a good cleaning and realized it's a good chance to swap out the two oil breather hoses but I can't get a size off them. Mine are too wallered out to measure and I don't see a stamping. I could guess but wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their head. Also noticed a LOT of oil in the top of the intake and on the carbs. Anyone had any luck adding a PCV valve or catch can? I know it doesn't prevent oil from venting but I'd like to catch some of it before it recondenses in the carb.

Thanks!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Oil breather hose size

Post by pcolette »

The parts book says it's 12mm. I always got them from one of the parts vendors, either EI or SAV, since it seems to be a slightly specialized hose and the prices are reasonable.

As long as you're in there it's a good idea to replace the intake balancing hose (01-35-60) since it's often dried out or split and will interfere with getting a smooth idle.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
gorsko
Bulgaria

Post by gorsko »

I really struggled to get 12mm hose onto the stubs. Ended up using 18x13mm, which fitted just fine. Measure the stubs if in doubt...
(My supplier sent me the wrong hose - the 12mm i/d size - twice, saying it was 13mm... So now I have 6metres of slightly-too-small hose...did get a full refund tho'!)
1975 712M (AMB)
1993 Defender 90 (200TDi)
1985 Uaz 469B
1982 Luaz 969 "the Russian Haflinger"
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I ended up adding the hoses in from SAV when I ordered some other stuff. I dont know what sizes they have, but their hoses are EXTREMELY stiff, small, and difficult to manipulate. I got them on, but it did not come without a fight.
1977 Austrian 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I found that a thin coating of petroleum jelly on each fitting makes it much easier to slide on the hoses. They are stiff but do hold up very well over time.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE