Truck starts but won't idle

Engine troubles? Try here.
ziegler

Truck starts but won't idle

Post by ziegler »

The truck starts but wont idle. When I try to give it gas, I get a popping noise from the engine. Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you Zig
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Truck starts but won't idle

Post by Haf-e »

Check the carb linkages and carb bodies - then check the ignition system. Could be a fouled plug or bad spark plug wire.

One useful trick is to start the engine for just a minute or so - then check the temperature of each exhaust pipe near the cylinder heads - be careful as they can be very hot - using a non-contact thermometer (IR gun) is best - they can be picked up cheap from Harbor Freight for $12 to $40 bucks and are pretty handy (although much better ones are available). Any significant difference would show a problem.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Had the truck been running well prior to this?
Possible result of any recent work you've done on truck?
Any unusual water crossings?
May want to drain float bowls and check for water.
check for condensation in distributor cap

for best answers provide a little history of conditions leading up to the event.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

If the carb solenoids loose power, the truck won't idle at all but runs fine at half to wide open. If only one solenoid has died (or the connector has fallen off) idle is VERY bad. This is a fast, easy check: turn on key, pull wire from each solenoid and listen for the "click" as they are connected and disconnected. No click, it is either no power or a bad solenoid.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Jimm is absolutely correct and this is an easy thing to check. I drove my truck to a ball field with no problems. I go to leave and I have to work the clutch and the accelerator and the brake to keep it running and get it home. It would not idle. I had to have the engine at high RPM's to keep it running. When I pulled the dog house off I found that one of the low idle jet solenoids had merely disconnected from the engine. I plugged it in and she ran perfect. If they are all plugged in, then check them as suggest by Jimm. Fairly easy to do. One other thing to check is breaker #2 (I think) which controls those solenoids. If the breaker popped, which also happened to me, you merely need to reset it and you should be able to roll. If it keeps tripping you need to find the source of the problem and/or replace the breaker.

Good luck and hopefully it's a simple solution.
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Gentlemen,
I had exactly the same problem tonight as I was leaving my hunting spot. I was had just closed the gate and the truck just died. For a while it would not fire at all. I finally pulled choke and she would run rough as long as I kept the RPMs up. So tomorrow I'll check the solenoids and I expect to find one out.

So, the question, any suggestions on how to get it back to town? I seem to recall that you can clip the tip of the dead solenoid as a temporary expedient. Is that right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time. - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Buzz wrote: I seem to recall that you can clip the tip of the dead solenoid as a temporary expedient. Is that right? Any other suggestions?
No idea what is meant by "clip the tip of the dead solenoid".

But if there is NO ELECTRICAL POWER to the solenoids, then somehow providing temporary power (think jumper wire) to them would make it work.

If you have a single bad solenoid (you're unlikely to have multiple electric failures coincidentally show up at once) you'll probably have to replace it.

Otherwise, just limp the truck home at higher rpms, with choke and accelerator.
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

This morning the truck started and idled normally although it is backfiring occasionally into the carbs. The carb solenoids all tested normally. I'm assuming something got wet yesterday and it's time for a tune up.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE