how do i oil the choke cable?

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

how do i oil the choke cable?

Post by audiocontr »

It appears to be seezing, requiring a lot of effort to pull open and push closed. I can manually manipulate at the carbs.
Im sure the return spring has seen better days. Even with a stronger spring, it appears to take more effort than previous Pinz ive owned.

Is there a proper way to clean and relube the cable?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Re: how do i oil the choke cable?

Post by undysworld »

Isn't there a little oiling port, part way back on the cable, just inside the engine bay near the driver's seat? IIRC, you remove a plastic cap and add lube. Sorry, it's been a while...
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

First check that it is not bent (even a little bit) where it enters the rear of the rear carburetor. It can only have gentle curves to operate smoothly; any sharp bends will resist movement.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Jimm391730 wrote:First check that it is not bent (even a little bit) where it enters the rear of the rear carburetor. It can only have gentle curves to operate smoothly; any sharp bends will resist movement.

i bet this is the issue somewhere along the route. Might be easier just to replace it. I have a mm or two of extra length which makes it really difficult to install
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Mine was real stiff and I pulled it out of the housing, squirted wd 40 through, put some grease on the cable and pushed it back through. You have to staighten all the exposed kinks out before you pull it out and make it very straight when you put it back in
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect