Engine Oil Level Too High

Engine troubles? Try here.
rmel
United States of America

Re: Engine Oil Level Too High

Post by rmel »

I did a bit more research on the WIX filter # 51768, some references indicate that it is OK.
Although the bypass valve pressure is pretty low in comparison with the Mann or Mahle.
Personally I would avoid using it.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

hatzlibutzli wrote:Check the following two possible sources of petrol reaching the oilpansump:

no. 1: the diaphragm of the fuel pump has a small tear, which causes a small but steady loss
no. 2: one of the level check valves of the carburators does not close properly, the engine runs way to fat and fuel is washed down the cilinders walls ... this is quite dangerous since it removes the oil film on the cilinder wall as well .

no. 2 is easy to check und fix and quite common since the valves are often worn by the motors vibrations. I recomend the original ones, if avaliable, since there was a problem with new OEM ones, leaky out of the box here in Europe ...
Been a while, checked the oil again today after sitting a few days and is about 1-1.5" high again. Sadly, also smells like gas. Plan on changing the oil and filter to a Mann as soon as I can get the oil drain plug out. Fuel pump was replaced by prior previous owner 7 years ago, NAPA M60175. The PInz basically sat for 4 years before i bought it 2 months ago. I should be able to tell if the gas was from sitting so long after I get the oil changed.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

bbolander wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't done anything myself to the vehicle since we got it two weeks ago.

The Pinz had been sitting for 2 days before I checked the oil. In fact, it's been sitting for most of the time the previous Owner had it, he only put 100 miles on it in 4 years.

I've only driven it to the DMV and back, and will check the fluids and your suggestions before any significant driving. The previous Owner recommended I put synthetic gear oil in the transmission, transfer case, differentials and portal axles. I'll need to find out what kind. I know it's 80 wt in the manual.

I'll be out of town working as a ham operator at the Seed9 Rally in Jean this weekend. I'll check the oil filter brand when I get back. I think it's a typical auto parts store brand.

Transmissions must be GL4 not GL4/GL5. GL5 rated will eat the yellow metal synchros. And yes all the parts stores will tell you wrong. You will most likely not find it on the shelf and have to order it.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

edzz wrote:
bbolander wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't done anything myself to the vehicle since we got it two weeks ago.

The Pinz had been sitting for 2 days before I checked the oil. In fact, it's been sitting for most of the time the previous Owner had it, he only put 100 miles on it in 4 years.

I've only driven it to the DMV and back, and will check the fluids and your suggestions before any significant driving. The previous Owner recommended I put synthetic gear oil in the transmission, transfer case, differentials and portal axles. I'll need to find out what kind. I know it's 80 wt in the manual.

I'll be out of town working as a ham operator at the Seed9 Rally in Jean this weekend. I'll check the oil filter brand when I get back. I think it's a typical auto parts store brand.

Transmissions must be GL4 not GL4/GL5. GL5 rated will eat the yellow metal synchros. And yes all the parts stores will tell you wrong. You will most likely not find it on the shelf and have to order it.
Thanks. I'm aware of what to use now after having time since that post to research it more and have some GL4. StaLube non-synthetic GL4 (not GL4/GL5) and GL5 are available on the shelf at CarQuest here in town.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Redline MTL90 is worth the effort to order and cost for the transmission. Shifting is easier, from cold to hot. It actually is a synthetic GL4 specifically designed for manual transmissions (hence the MTL moniker, Manual Tansmission Lube, 90 weight).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Jimm391730 wrote:Redline MTL90 is worth the effort to order and cost for the transmission. Shifting is easier, from cold to hot. It actually is a synthetic GL4 specifically designed for manual transmissions (hence the MTL moniker, Manual Tansmission Lube, 90 weight).
Thanks Jimm, I did read about the Redline MTL90 and was tempted. Confusing, since MT-90 is also mentioned a lot. The Redline site made it even more confusing, under manual transmission fluids it lists:

MT-90 75W90 GL4
MT-85 75W85 GL4
MTL 75W80 GL4

So MTL90 doesn't really exist. Which do I choose?

But I also read a lot about no synthetics. I could still order some Redline something? and use it in the transmission and use my other GL4 in the transfer case and differentials. Redline does say not to use the above in hypoid gear differentials.

Typical for forums, lots of good opinions that are different. It was a chore to search through everything and figure out what to use. Too bad there isn't a sticky on modern fluids and torque values not found in the manual!
Last edited by bbolander on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Wow, what choices now! The bottle that I have in the garage is MTL70W80, they may have adjusted it to be MTL75W80 now.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Jimm391730 wrote:Wow, what choices now! The bottle that I have in the garage is MTL70W80, they may have adjusted it to be MTL75W80 now.
I'm guessing the MTL 75W80 GL4 is the one to get. The others list car applications, and it lists these:

Land Rover/Range Rover LT77S, Dodge & Jeep NV1500, NV3500 , NV3550 and NV5600 truck transmissions
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Changed to new oil a while ago, have only driven on one trip and day of four wheeling since, maybe 180 miles. Engine oil level is now again about 1 quart high and smells like gas. We're going to rebuild the carbs soon, but today I noticed the chokes aren't hitting the stops so it's running rich all the time. These are choke pictures today with the choke pull knob fully down, supposedly closed - a new cable assembly and return spring are on the way.

Fixing the choke to stop should solve a lot of issues I hope.
IMG_1632 copy.jpg
IMG_1632 copy.jpg (473.69 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
IMG_1633 copy.jpg
IMG_1633 copy.jpg (382.99 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If you are getting gas contamination of the oil I would be looking at the fuel pump being bad. I would have a hard time believing that choke problems would cause gas to accumulate in the crank case.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

The fuel pump from the previous owner is a NAPA M60175, he installed it a little over 7 years ago. It hasn't been driven much in that time. I do have a new Pinz fuel pump to install if needed. How would I tell if the NAPA one is bad?

Well, I guess it doesn't matter. Going to put in the new OEM one anyway just in case.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

We're doing a carb rebuild and replacing the NAPA 60175 fuel pump with a SAV OEM pump. We did find that the rear carb was dripping fuel at idle even after we corrected the choke to fully close, and will be correcting that with the rebuild.

We think the culprit for the fuel getting into the oil is mainly the fuel pump leaking as you've suggested. When I removed the NAPA fuel pump the underneath side of the pump was coated with fuel, and puddles of fuel were sitting in the plastic fuel pump base below the pump.
IMG_1752 copy.jpg
IMG_1752 copy.jpg (534.57 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
So it's likely with the new fuel pump and the carb rebuild our fuel in the oil problem should be gone. Thanks for everyones input.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I've searched and found nothing on the fuel pump mounting bolt torque value. Manual says 30 nm for 10 mm, and the mounting studs are at least 10 mm, but 30 seems high.

Anyone have a torque value? The seemed just a little over snug when I took the nuts off.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

bbolander wrote:I've searched and found nothing on the fuel pump mounting bolt torque value. Manual says 30 nm for 10 mm, and the mounting studs are at least 10 mm, but 30 seems high.

Anyone have a torque value? The seemed just a little over snug when I took the nuts off.
Generally, if a specific torque value isn't given for a particular fastener, then you ought to refer to the general fastener torque specs. (With no disrespect, you did observe that it was 30 NM instead of FP?)

There's a slight chance that your fuel pump has been replaced in the past. ( :roll: ) Whether that work was done correctly is anyone's guess. If it was done in the field, then the chance of a torque wrench having been involved in the repair is even less likely.

I'd think I'd place more confidence in the factory manual/s than in some previously-done repair.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I think the manual is lacking in this respect. For example, the pot metal or aluminum valve covers are 15 nm, which seems closer to what the fuel pump should be. That's a lot different than a steel to steel part. I found that a VW fuel pump of similar vintage has a value of 18 nm. So I used 20.