Considering a nozzle on the fuel tank base

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

Considering a nozzle on the fuel tank base

Post by audiocontr »

Given the amount of time my truck sits, and the amount of ethanol in the fuel, I'm sure ethanol/water blends and pure water have to be forming at the bottom of the tank. Does it make sense to place a small nozzle at the drain plugs to drain out the waste periodically?

Does a fuel/water separator separate the ethanol/water blend portion, or just pure water?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Re: Considering a nozzle on the fuel tank base

Post by undysworld »

Maybe it would make more sense to buy alcohol-free gas and add Sta-bil or some such?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

How about this Lucas product for E10, E15 and E85. Couple of boaters I know use it
and had good things to say about it. Incidentally, best practice is to keep your tank as
full as possible, a partially full tank exposes the sidewalls to condensation, and that's
another source of H2O in the gas.

http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treat ... tabilizers
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Ethanol free is not an option. The only Ethanol free fuel around here is illegal for road use due to taxation. Its also 15 miles away. i use it when i can for my boat and all of my small engines. I could see a nifty ticket by putting the spout into my truck.

I do use Sta-bil, but I thought Sta-bil helps cut back on oxidation. It doesn't do much for preventing the ethanol from pulling water. I could be wrong.

Seems the best bet is to simply keep the tank as full as possible to prevent condensation build up (I was typing this when you posted rmel. I'll look into the lucas, but from what im reading, no additive prevents the phase shift, and nothing can bring it back.). The concept of the drain is to see whats on the bottom of my tank come spring.

Anyone know the thread size for the fuel tank drain plug?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Pretty sure it's M22 x 1.5
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Water and gasoline do not mix; ethanol mixes with both. More ethanol will mix with gasoline than water will mix with the ethanol. Once they are all in solution together only distillation will separate them. Only if there is enough water (beyond what the ethanol will absorb) will you have a layer of water on the bottom. "HEET", a brand name for a fuel de-icer, is mostly alcohol for the reason that alcohol will absorb some amount of liquid water.

I took a cheap piece of clear vinyl tubing and tied it to the end of a metal wire so I could use it as a siphon hose (the wire ensures it reaches the bottom of the tank when fed down the filler neck). This may be a much neater solution than draining from the plug, especially if you can angle the truck to be nose down so the lowest point of the tank is at the front.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Drain your gas tank annually to prevent moisture build-up, rust, and to check for the red coating coming loose.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I just filled the tank last night. The truck will stay in one spot for about 5 months now. I'll report back with what I fi d next year
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Just thinking a little outside of the box here, not sure if it would work or not.

I know they make socks that are put into large holding tanks specifically aimed at pulling water from gas/fuel. Not sure if this would work for you or not, but it's an option.

Not that I a recommending, just a link I found online to that sort of product. https://www.spill911.com/waterwicks.html
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Gas line antifreeze is just methyl hydrate. I will bond with any water and make it combustible and break its cohesion so that it won't plug carb jets or injectors. A large gallon jug will last a very long time. When in doubt dump a pint in your tank. It will even handle the condensation of Canadian winters. I had an older car which was misfiring terribly and stumbling down the road. A pint later and no waiting, it started back up and ran perfectly. Give it a try.

Cheers, Clive