Need Pictues of SAV Flex Kit Exhaust Installed

Engine troubles? Try here.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Need Pictues of SAV Flex Kit Exhaust Installed

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the flex coupling from the header to the exhaust system is not just for expansion but for movement of the engine as it moves around when revved. There has to be some sort of allowance for the movement of the engine on the motor mounts or something will eventually fail. This is obvious by the fact most that drive their pinzies have had to replace or repair the flex joints.
As has be stated before just order up the SAV kit and take it to an exhaust shop. I put the first set in my truck but have taken the truck to an exhaust shop for the next replacement. Not very expensive and they did a much better job of welding the flex couplings in place then I could.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

undysworld wrote:
bbolander wrote:Did you buy yours online? Where?
Google "exhaust flex pipe".

Here's 1-3/4" x 12" (30cm) from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41452/overview/

When in doubt, search... :!:
Ha Ha. I did, and got sidetracked looking at the another brand! I imagine for $16 the flex is nothing special, SAV is probably better since it seems to be lasting.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

4x4Pinz wrote:the flex coupling from the header to the exhaust system is not just for expansion but for movement of the engine as it moves around when revved. There has to be some sort of allowance for the movement of the engine on the motor mounts or something will eventually fail. This is obvious by the fact most that drive their pinzies have had to replace or repair the flex joints.
As has be stated before just order up the SAV kit and take it to an exhaust shop. I put the first set in my truck but have taken the truck to an exhaust shop for the next replacement. Not very expensive and they did a much better job of welding the flex couplings in place then I could.
That's an excellent point. We will put some kind of flex joint in there, probably the SAV kit.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Hotzenplotz wrote:i purchased my plexpipes on ebay
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Flexrohr-45-mm-G ... 19e643a298
Great choice! But, I purchased the SAV flex pipe kit yesterday. The muffler shop will just have to cut my odd tubes out near the header end and put in a stub to mount the flex kit to. Or there might even be an offset clamp to fit both the existing small 1.5 inch pipe and the 1.75" flex kit tubes like I've seen in a Summit Racing video.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Since your going through all that trouble, IMHO eliminate that 1.5" section all together.
That's a 25% reduction in cross sectional area -- can't be good for back pressure.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rmel wrote:Since your going through all that trouble, IMHO eliminate that 1.5" section all together.
That's a 25% reduction in cross sectional area -- can't be good for back pressure.
Agreed
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

TechMOGogy wrote:
rmel wrote:Since your going through all that trouble, IMHO eliminate that 1.5" section all together.
Agreed
I agree, and bet that 1.5" pipe is stuffed into the header ends too. Might be worthwhile to get some used headers from SAV to do it right!
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Got the SAV Flex Kit today. Existing exhaust headers are short and messed up, so I ordered new "used" headers today. The Pinz is a money pit already!
IMG_1311 copy.jpg
IMG_1311 copy.jpg (443.03 KiB) Viewed 6091 times
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Buy some hardware, including an exhaust stud or two. =)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

audiocontr wrote:Buy some hardware, including an exhaust stud or two. =)
I did, I have everything new. I saw a post that the SAV exhaust manifold gaskets were large so I bought some EI ones too just in case. The EI ones do look a hair smaller, but not much. I'll compare them to the old existing ones for reference. The heat exchanger flange bolts that came with the kit do look long, so likely a trip to Ace for shorter ones.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

We finally got to putting in our SAV flex kit this week. We also bought used exhaust manifolds from SAV since our's had been hacked up. My brother did the work with me as the helper. It took one evening grinding the rings off of the new used headers, one evening removing the old headers, and one evening to install the new flex kit and exhaust manifolds.

We were lucky. No broken studs. Two studs came out with the nut. It was terrible getting the flex kit to heat exchanger bolts, lockwashers and nuts on because of interferences. And it was very hard to reach one exhaust manifold stud to get a nut on it and tighten it. But overall we were pleased with not having serious issues and in the time it took.

We left the heat exchanger and muffler installed. We bolted the flex kit and gasket up to the heat exchanger first with shorter bolts (25 mm) we purchased since the SAV kit bolts are too long (30 mm). Then we slid the #2,3 exhaust manifold into the flex kit and attached it to the cylinder head. Then we slid the #1,4 exhaust manifold into the flex kit and attached it to the cylinder head. We used anti-sieze on the stainless steel flex kit flange to exchanger flange bolts. We used Loctite blue on the exhaust manifold studs to the cylinder head, and to the nuts. We torqued the exhaust manifold stud nuts to 24 Nm.

We also put a new SAV muffler on. We haven't driven it since we installed the flex kit.
IMG_1880 copy.jpg
IMG_1880 copy.jpg (482.46 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
Chiro6262

Post by Chiro6262 »

Just picked up my 72 710. I need that flex kit! my pinz sounds like a vw. where can I buy this SAV kit?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE