Light Oil in Exhaust

Engine troubles? Try here.
hackcampbell

Light Oil in Exhaust

Post by hackcampbell »

My Pinz has what I assume to be a problem, though it may very well fall into "Yep, that's just how they are" territory.

I noticed in my garage the other day that I had a couple feet of a light spray pattern of what appeared to be oil. It only took me a second or two to realize it's right where the exhaust is where I park the truck.

I started the Pinz, and put my hand a few inches away from the exhaust. It took about 5 or 10 seconds, but a very fine mist of oil began collecting on my hand. It seemed to be pretty consistent, until it ever so slightly "burped", which resulted in a little extra oil, and continued to run just fine. It was mostly just a little hiccup int idle; very minor. I want to reiterate how little oil it actually was; it was a lot of barely visible dots. I didn't really have time to investigate it, so I don't know if it changes after the engine has warmed up.

I've put about 500 miles on it since I purchased it, and the oil level hasn't changed when checked. I assume it's either oil getting passed the valves or the piston rings. Does anyone else have a truck that does this? Does everybody else have a truck that does this? Is it indicative of a larger problem that needs addressed, or just "relax, don't worry, drive a Pinz"?
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Light Oil in Exhaust

Post by pcolette »

Both of mine used to do what you describe though I'm not sure how much was oil and how much was incompletely burned fuel. Ever since I installed the PinzSSI ignition on both, the amount of residue has significantly decreased. It's not gone but is tolerable. Just my 2 cents.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Mine spews the black oil out, too. It has done it since I bought the truck in 2003. I just make sure nothing important is near the exhaust when I start it.
I will put a rag over the exhaust and hold it in place with a magnet when I start it inside the garage with plans to leave it stationary. The rag catches the oil, rather than the wall. After a minute or so it clears up.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

The exhaust valves have no seals other than the fit of the valve stem.
The intakes do have a seal. When starting up cold, there will be some
minor oil leaking past the exhaust valve stem but should subside once
the engine is at normal operating temperature. If the leak persists then
your going to see some blue smoke as the entire exhaust headers get
above the flash point of motor Oil ~600F. No significant blue smoke no
leak to worry about.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I had the same thing until we rebuilt the carbs. They were running way rich and I was getting fuel in the oil.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now