Petrol leaking from cylinder 1 ( exhaust manifold removed)

Engine troubles? Try here.
Guard1an
Macedonia

Petrol leaking from cylinder 1 ( exhaust manifold removed)

Post by Guard1an »

Spent the summer cleaning 30years of mud and grime from my newly purchased 712. Pressure washer underneath the truck and a toothbrush on the engine.
New military ignition cables and plugs, fuel filter and oil filter.
The cleaning has resulted in 2 findings.
1. My clutch fluid has drained away, must had been plugged by dried dirt previously (noticed I had an incredibly stiff clutch prior....now well zero resistance and an empty reservoir.
2 this is where I need your thoughts
Exhaust manifold removed to perform repair and maintenance
Carburetors cleaned externally and internally while mounted
Fuel pipes replaced
Now difficult to start without choke + only stays running if I gently open the accelerator.
If I removed load the truck will die not idle.
If I increase load she stalls.
Worryingly I noticed smoking from beneath the engine and saw fuel leaking from the exhaust manifold on cylinder 1.
Carburetors are full of fuel ( opened square plate 10mm screw driver side... It's a left hand drive vehicle)

Could this be spark related or clogged carburetors
Also from my reading this evening I do not recall having any advance movement on my distributor (advance is counter clockwise?)
rmel
United States of America

Re: Petrol leaking from cylinder 1 ( exhaust manifold removed)

Post by rmel »

I'm no expert on Pinz carburetors, with EFI -but- here's some suggestions, which you
probably already checked off :wink:

First can you quantify how much fuel is leaking, e.g. drops per second, a stream ??

I'd start and eliminate (hopefully) the simple first. Make sure you just don't have
a leaking fuel line or any fittings around the carbs that are leaking and simply found
the path of least resistance showing a dripping near #1.

Next, I presume the leak is near the exhaust flange of #1 and the smoke and leak
are related. Check to see if your card is actually not "flooding" #1 (and #2), #2 may
not be showing signs of a leak with a tight exhaust port seal but it too could be flooding.
Check the float on those cards. BTW when she's running does the exhaust smell very fuel rich?

Finally, if all the above is fine check for spark, and timing perhaps your way too retarded.

I suspect it may be a case of flooding though :?
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Guard1an
Macedonia

Post by Guard1an »

Thanks for the post rmel.
Flooding is also on my top 5 list of could be's... Opened the Oben plate on both carburetors today to check the jets. About 50 to 70ml of fuel ran out.
Regarding your question about the amount of fuel leaking, drips per second... I'm not (yet) inclined to run the engine too long to inspect due to fire risk. Only a last resort I feel.

All new plugs and cables military at that.
I did remove the plugs and found wet fouling.
So flooding again possibly

I'll run a test on my coil to see if it's producing what it should plus change the points. Sadly I'm not able to time and do not know anyone here (Macedonia Skopje) who can offer such a service.

I'll keep on checking please keep on suggesting
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Based on your symptoms:

Float level. You need to do this test with the engine running, and setting up a plastic tube or hose.
It can be done with $10 or less.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6054

Second thing I would check with those symptoms is for vacuum leaks. The hose between the manifolds is often bad after time or overheat. Then the base of the carburetors and their gaskets, then the base of the main intake manifold, and finally, the carburetor base shafts.

If this does not work, there is more.
Jeronimo
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Guard1an
Macedonia

Post by Guard1an »

Thanks my Sunday is set aside to get her running again.
I will inspect and try all you have suggested

Thanks