Ignition Timing

Engine troubles? Try here.
JimmyC

Ignition Timing

Post by JimmyC »

When I was young we use to set the timing on cars by advancing them until the engine knocked under full load then backed it off just a bit, like 2 degrees. Then we tried to start it and if it cranked hard we backed it off a bit more. Has anybody tried this?

Does anybody understand why the static timing is different with a hot vs cold engine?

Does anybody use a timing light?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Ignition Timing

Post by pcolette »

I have used a timing light powered from a seperate 12V battery I keep on hand. Usually 3-5 degrees BTDC worked well for me. Now that I have the PinzSSI system, timing is set without the engine running per the instructions.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

I have the SSI ignition, and lost the ability to use the timing gun. Therefore, I use the technique you described... advance until it knocks, the come down a little more...
Works...
Jerome
CRJ Driver
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Agreed on SSI - i was able to advance a few more degrees than the SSI instructions state without issue.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I am confused. I thought the SSI was statically set at TDC, red light on, and the SSI module did the rest. No need to adjust anything else. Am I missing something?
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

it is, but you can advance a little past TDC and not find yourself in a ping state. i found it idled and ran better
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

in the early models the SSI had a switch for on road and off road. you could advance it manually a little. not many used the option and it just made the system a little more complicated for little gain. I just run mine slightly advanced all the time and get a little better performance.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have it stated in the instructions that the timing can be advanced, just use common sense. By setting the timing at TDC, the curve advance follows the factory recommendation as close as possible. Advancing is OK, and is accomplished by rotating the module against the rotation of the timing disc (CCW), just like you would with a distributor, using the rotor as a reference direction. I set mine a few degrees advanced and it runs great.
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG (382 KiB) Viewed 5256 times