Engine temperature sensor - has anyone added one?

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jake2015
United States of America

Engine temperature sensor - has anyone added one?

Post by Jake2015 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 pm

After melting my #3 piston, I want to add a temperature sensor to monitor #3 and/or #4. I found a 12MM CHT SENSOR designed for air cooled engines to be attached under an engine bolt or spark plug. Has anyone added this type of sensor or any other?

Thanks
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer

Garrycol
Australia

Re: Engine temperature sensor - has anyone added one?

Post by Garrycol » Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 pm

I put a Engine Watchdog TM1 on my Haflinger - works fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-WATCHDO ... xyk99R3NSK

Here is TheHaflinger thread on the topic. http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3636

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel » Wed May 29, 2019 11:15 pm

Of the 4 cylinders, #3 is runs the hottest. So it would be your best bet to monitor.

The best method is a Pyrometer directly in the gas flow of the exhaust header close
to the exhaust port.

I run with one/cylinder and it is a great way to keep an eye on the overall engine
temp esp. when your going up a very steep grade on a very hot day. VDO is among
the best, available at Summit Racing and other distributors.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo- ... gKKcfD_BwE

If you go this route invest in a SS bung to weld to the exhaust header, it's a TIG
job with the proper filler metal.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712M

Driver: Ron // KO0Q

one2many
Australia

Post by one2many » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:25 pm

To monitor my engine oil temps/pressures I use both, an oil pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge (VDO). For cylinders and heads I occasionally point one of those temp guns with the red dots, mainly to see any temp difference between cylinders.

My oil temp sensor is mounted under the oil thermostat but I don't really think this is an ideal location, I plan to move it to my sump for better accuracy
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)

steyr92
Austria

Post by steyr92 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:00 am

the mount for oiltemp sensor under the thermostat is intended from steyr as far as i know to sit there.
in the sump i think the influence is much bigger from outside temp. in my opinion the perfekt spot would be after the thermostat and the cooler because either its bypassed or not u would get the temp the engine gets.
i placed mine also in the intended spot because its easier but if the cooler and cylinder fins are in summer i barely get to 90 degrees. more intresting in winter to see when its warmed up
regards

hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:15 am

My oil temp sensor is under the oil pressure sensor. There you get a picture of the "outgoing" oil temperature after the oil cooler. Therefor it reacts on both: higher engine oil temperatures as well as bad cooling e.g. due to low RPM

At central european conditions equal on highway as on steep mountain climbs I get readings up to 65 deg Celsius (149 deg. F) ... in the heavy sands of the Erg Oriental/Sahara Desert the peak was at 71 deg Celsius (160 deg F) ...

A cylinder head sensor on each would be nice ... haven`t found a good place for yet. The aircooled Deutz Diesel engines have an out of factory blind hole for that purpose ...

I would appreciate, if someone finds a good place ... the M14 Sensors to put under the spark plug, that work well on motorbikes and chainsaws don´t work on the Pinz´s due to lack of space ...

Regards from the Alps ... Simon

steyr92
Austria

Post by steyr92 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:40 am

according to my repairmanual, the temp sensor under the pressure sensor tells the temp from the incoming oil from the pump before the cooler or am i wrong here?

hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 am

To my interpretation the pressure sensor is in the main oilstream after the oil cooler, but before the oil filter ... otherwise the readings would not make much sense ... since the thermostate opens not before 83°C towards the oil cooler ...

Regards ... Simon

audiocontr
Canada

Post by audiocontr » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:50 am

I'd love a sensor on each cyl. Would help with ton of troubleshooting and carb adjusting. Wonder if there is an inexpensive clamp on system that i could utilize?
1973 712m
(2) 1968 Haflingers 1 For Sale
1978 GMC Palm Beach
2001 F250 Diesel and trailer

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:03 pm

IMHO Pyrometer's are the way to go, best measure of chamber temperature. And
repsonds quickly to load and AFR.

Thermo-couples are another approach, added to each head with a shallow tapped hole.
But the response is slow due to the thermal mass.

I have Pyro's on each exhaust port on my 710 and one on #3 on the 712. You can
get VDO steel bung's that weld up nice with a Mig on the headers. The Pyro's thread
into the bung, they are SS so a direct weld to the header though possible involves
Tig with a bit more welding expertise needed. And once you have that done get the
headers Ceramic coated. That's a good way to get a bit of a heat drop out of the cabin
and better exhaust flow in the pipe.

I compromised on the 712 with one Pyro in #3 which is the hottest cylinder of the 4.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712M

Driver: Ron // KO0Q