Choke cover leak - help!

Engine troubles? Try here.
boeing7873
Argentina

Choke cover leak - help!

Post by boeing7873 »

So after 3 years of chasing an idle and low RPM issue, I got to the conclusion that it was related to a lack of fuel at that rpm range. Lack of fuel meant no power/stall until rpms reach 1300-1400, then all normal.

I managed to eliminate the stall by pulling out the idle mixture screws way out of range, about 2 to 2.25 turns out, and increase my idle fuel jets to 60 and decreasing the air restrictors (jets) to lowest.. I believe 110.

But winter came and symptoms started to show just a little, and I hate the smell of such a rich mixture. So I went again on the chase for a vacuum leak. Spraying all type of combustible gases and fluids did not help. RPMs never changed enough to recognize a leak.

So finally today I went with the other leak detector, the smoker. And... surprise! First, I thought my carb shaft/bushings were ok, well all except one that likes to smoke. But the real surprise was the smoke coming out of my choke covers. I changed the paper gaskets recently but obviously this must be an uneven base or cover.

Anyone with experience with this problem and what is the best solution?
Attachments
choke2.jpg
choke2.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Choke3.jpg
Choke3.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Jerome
CRJ Driver
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Choke cover leak - help!

Post by 4x4Pinz »

it happens when people over tighten the screws and bend the housing. A problem when folks take on their own work without knowing fully what they are doing (guilty as charged). I have learned over the years that when dealing with a soft metal and a gasket to keep the torque on the fastners to a minimum and use a gasket sealer. good thing is this plate can be made flat again and a new gasket with sealer used to fix the issue.
boeing7873
Argentina

Re: Choke cover leak - help!

Post by boeing7873 »

Both covers were pretty bent. I heated them and with soft and small hammer and vice pressure, managed to get them quite close to flat, then a little sand and both look good now.
Now back to ground zero: re-jetting, re-idle, re-synch, re-timing... :{
Jerome
CRJ Driver