Valve Cover Leak

Engine troubles? Try here.
dnaPinz

Valve Cover Leak

Post by dnaPinz »

My 710K has just developed a valve cover leak on cylinder #3(I think). I have a set of gaskets from the previous owner, he replaced the gasket on #4. I have replaced a valve gasket before but it was on an american engine. I am not as skilled as most of the guys on here seem to be but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Is this a straight forward job or can anyone offer me any advice or suggestions on this repair?

Darin
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

It's a very straight forward process to replace the valve cover gaskets. As simple as removing the acorn securing nuts & popping off the individual covers. Maybe even easier then an american V8 valve cover? Remove the throttle linkage as necessary to access the center covers and put a couple rags under the covers to catch any oil. You can also use Permatex "Right Stuff" or other Silicone gasket materials instead of the standard gaskets if you like. Make sure you have the washers under the acorn nuts when replacing the covers. You get very familiar with this if you plan to do your own valve adjustments & tune up work.
Just get in and go....
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Silicone will leak, the proper sealant is Permatex #2 aviation sealer, or Napa jv66b sealant. Use only on the cover side( or you will not like the next time it has to come off) as the gaskets will not be re-usable, and very hard to remove :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
dnaPinz

Post by dnaPinz »

Mission Accomplished :D

You guys were right, it was a super easy fix. I am very happy that it was just the gasket leaking. I couldn't tell for sure but once I replaced the gasket no more spots on the drive way and that makes "Mama" very happy!

Anyway, thank you two for the help. With out this forum I wouldn't have known what kind of sealant.

So once again thank you to all those that responded and to Vince for getting this forum back up and running. It is a life line to those of us that depend on the experience and expertise of other pinzers in the community!

Darin