I'm Exhausted

Engine troubles? Try here.

chrysler approach

Post by 2012 »

please, post the chrysler approach. i'm in a crash learning phase re all pinz things.
Last edited by 2012 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Since everyone is outdoing other with a "first" Here is my first: The first with the "chyrsler" joints.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/li ... 010265.jpg

Na Na, Na, :wink: :wink: Na Na

I believe this was Dennis's first attempt at slip joints, they have been is service since 2002. They have held up better than my gas tank, although it has yet to leak :lol: :oops: :lol:
That must make them Jeep parts....... Trail Rated...
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

So the ball sockets are tensioned in place by the spring loaded bolts. Do they squeak or make any other racket ? seems too simple :wink:
Just get in and go....
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

John, that is not a true "Chrysler" joint... if it was, it would also have bailing wire and duct tape :!: :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

They are simple. They simply fell apart a couple of times at first. Now the nuts seems to be rusted well enough it stays together. Real simple the spings hold together, had no noticible squeaks or rubbing noise. note, heat exchanger was remounted so it are rubber mounted and can float a little and so is the tail pipe, THAT took a lot of road noise out of the equation. Stock set up is engine is rubber mounted, heat exchanger is mounted on a limited movement rubber and back of muffler is solid. many of the early after market exhausts were mounted with the tail pipe solid to the body. The more rubber mounting you can install so the system can move with the engine seems to be better.

I wonder on the OEM heat exchange mount. There is a long slot. Would leaving the nut a little loose so the exchanger can float fore and aft and then doulde nutting it, help? You would still have to allow for the muffler/tail pipe to have movement also.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

To add to John's post on this.
The joint is from the infamous K car of Iacocca fame.
As I have once posted this car took Chrysler from certain bankruptcy to leader in vehicle sales of the big three. I suppose we have to ask if Merb had anything to do with that of late!

Anyway I'm digressing. The joint doesnt squeak but to be fair, John and me built in some movement to the system as a whole. The HE mount was modified to accept a GM sliding tail pipe joint (that was to keep David Dunn happy) and the tail pipe was supported by a further flex rubber mount to keep everything kosher.

On my 710m we retained the original muffler and installed the sliding mount plus two rubber cotton reels at the end to support the SS muffler.
Like John said this has worked very well.

The slip joint originally used by Steyr was a good idea when it was new. The idea quickly spread amongst the Euro manufacturers. This was a way of having a moving joint in a high stress area like off a turbo. Leyland Truck who I worked for had a flirtation with it on their Marathon model. It was a 7" cast iron sleeve about 10' long with two big piston rings for sealing. Worked great when new, but stunk the driver out of his sleeper when worn.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now