How much smoke is too much?

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

How much smoke is too much?

Post by audiocontr »

My pinz is smoking pretty strong. It gives a big puff at start and continues to smoke while driving. What is making me nervous is that the previous owner said it didnt have any issues. Take delivery and i've come up with a couple. Leaking front knuckles and smoking oils

Its at the point that its pretty uncomfortable for passengers.

Besides worn rings, what else can cause significant smoke?
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I heard that some Pinzgauers did not come with valve stem seals, which could result in oil consumption. These are available for about $30 each from SAV. Buy 4, as they are for the intake only.
pinzwheeling

Re: How much smoke is too much?

Post by pinzwheeling »

audiocontr wrote:My pinz is smoking pretty strong. It gives a big puff at start and continues to smoke while driving. What is making me nervous is that the previous owner said it didnt have any issues. Take delivery and i've come up with a couple. Leaking front knuckles and smoking oils

Its at the point that its pretty uncomfortable for passengers.

Besides worn rings, what else can cause significant smoke?
Worn rings are typically the culprit, though valve guide seals are a possibility. My 710 smoke horribly for the first couple of minutes, then had almost no smoke at all. My 712 doesn't have any smoke at all, even at startup.

Where are you located? You should update your profile so that others may point you to resources in your area for technical assistance.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com