took some photos of for my questions. Input appreciated.

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

took some photos of for my questions. Input appreciated.

Post by audiocontr »

I'm impatient. I will say that right now so as I wait for my manual, i have several questions. The first that i want to tackle is my stinky smoky exhaust!
I also think im running a little rich. I get black smoke at start up and white smoke while at idle and accelerating

From what I understand, it could be rings or valve seals. I took a photo of the head. Can you take a look at tell me if it has the seals?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I_ ... directlink

I pulled the plug and this is what it looked like. Does it say im running rich or is that from burning oil?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mP ... directlink

i pulled the drum off of the passenger front and noticed barely any contact between the drum and the shoe! Take a look. Do i need the drum turned true?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I7 ... directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/li ... directlink

And finally I found oil coating the inside of the intake. Is it normal?
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2r ... directlink

Thanks for your input. I have other photos if needed.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

This is what a valve seal looks like
http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/showde ... 121051100/
Look at the intake valve stem inside the spring and see if there is one. The exhaust won't have any. There is no way to tell from the picture.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

And finally I found oil coating the inside of the intake. Is it normal?
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2r ... directlink
Yes. The filter must have gotten plugged at one time and sucked oil out of the crank case.

I also think im running a little rich
The pinz in general likes to run rich.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Looking at the brake pads and drums did you wash them before you took the pic?
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

No i did not. Thats how they looked when i took the drum off.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

definately need to turn the drums true. spark plug looked like it was burning oil. where you located again? just asking
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Northern VA. I picked up the truck from Scream Time Zip Line. Was told that our friend in GA had worked on it and was set to go. I'm questioning that now, but want to make sure before i chat with the previous owner.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Pic of the drum looks like oil leak as Jim L. Noted. I would also check the hub seals, as they commonly leak. If the hubs were filled with synthetic fluid one would think it would cause the uneven wear. Also you will never burn the oil out of the pad so it will need replaced.

What was the shape of the air filter is it dirty? Could be some of the black smoke.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Its quite dusty but not overly dirty. Looks very new.

I too noticed the light amounts of oil in there. That seal seems like a MUCH more difficult seal to replace! ughh, all bad news.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I too noticed the light amounts of oil in there. That seal seems like a MUCH more difficult seal to replace! ughh, all bad news.
Very easy to replace and cheap. Look thru the forum todd112. Did a write-up on it with pics. Really only takes and hour or so.

Its quite dusty but not overly dirty. Looks very new.
If it looks new you may want to see if it's a fram as they are to restrictive.
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

audiocontr wrote:Northern VA. I picked up the truck from Scream Time Zip Line. Was told that our friend in GA had worked on it and was set to go. I'm questioning that now, but want to make sure before i chat with the previous owner.
Given the way Herbert harasses me about my brakes I can't imagine him letting one out of his shop to a customer with leaky wheel hub and inoperable brakes.

He can swap a hub seal & brake pads in well under an hour, have seen him replace seals even when not asked to.

That said: Erik is right, it's not a big deal to do yourself, and unfortunately is a common pinz repair, even if it's been fixed before.

FYI: There are two seal sizes in use on the fronts, so it's best to either get both, and send one set back, or crack it open before ordering your seal. The newer, larger ones seem to hold up better. It was not an official SDP "Gen 2" design, is definitely something the Swiss did to address an issue.

I know this as mine was the first one we know of that had the oddball seal size. Willi, Jerry Herrington, and others had not seen it before. Nor had Herbert, who even called his factory contacts. Was not an issue, the replace seal is a common size, just stumped everyone for a while. You may be able to see the seal without disassembly, I've not tried. Just be aware there are two sizes in use.

I had to source mine at a local seal place, as EI, Willi, etc did not stock the new size at that point. Did a bit of research, and found one good to 90 mph (you have to calculate the rotational speed). Was $5-6 each shipped, just not a big deal at all.

Have fun,

Alan
pinztrek
Barbados

Re: took some photos of for my questions. Input appreciated.

Post by pinztrek »

audiocontr wrote: I also think im running a little rich. I get black smoke at start up and white smoke while at idle and accelerating
Black smoke at startup can be normal if just a puff due to choke or indications of richness if it does it all the time. But remember, the engine is designed to run rich, much richer than we are used to with modern cars. This does not mean black plugs, but it's not uncommon to smell rich, and have the occasional black puff when accelerating, etc.

If the white-blue smoke is only at startup, that's typically indication of worn valve seals. Oil drips into the cylinder, but once the engine is up to operating it burns off fast enough that you don't see smoke. (but can sometimes still smell it) Fairly normal on older cars, and is normally not considered a huge issue. Should be corrected with valve seal replacement if you want to get rid of it.

If you get white smoke all the time, that would indicate much more oil in the combustion. It could be a larger problem, but you'd want to do compression tests, etc to nail down. There is a situation we jokingly call the "smoke screen" where the pinz will get oil sucked into the intake and really create some smoke. Do a search in the forum, I don't remember the specifics.

The pinz does not really have a normal PCV setup, and normal ring blowby gasses/oil vapor get's sucked right into the intake. So I find most pinz's have a hint of burnt oil smell in the exhaust even when just rebuilt.

Speaking of blow-by, that's another crude test you can do. Plug or squeeze the line running from the oil filler tube to the intake. Then look for significant pressure pulses coming out the oil filler tube as an indication of blowby past the rings. A small amount can be normal, but large, noticable pulses may not. If it's not even it would imply one cylinder may be more worn, etc.

But leakdown tests would be the best check, and compression tests are also informative.

Have fun,

Alan