Need carb help

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

Need carb help

Post by audiocontr »

Truck is running lousy and i decided to do a little investigating. I pulled the intake plenum off and looked into the carbs after letting it idle for a few minutes. I found the front continued to leak fuel when the vehicle was off, so much so that it pooled to about .5 inch on top of the butterflies.

The rear did not pool but produced smoke that pooled in the carb on top of the butterflies. It was very dense and flowed like fog

At idle, the front seems to pour fuel MUCH more than the rear. I've also noticed the front carb is leaking around its base as it pools.

Is it time for a rebuild? What tools do i need?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, it is rebuild time. Your float level is too high, most likely worn out needle and seats :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

wrenches, couple of screw drivers, needle nose pliers, basic stuff.......ain't much to em. You will also need a float guage tool, very expensive from SAV.
If you are lucky enough to own a Pinzgauer, then you are lucky enough!
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Any alternatives to the float gauge tool?
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

A couple of things in regards to the float tool. Yes it is ugly expensive from Steyr. Pretty much an item that should cost $8-10 to manufacture. If you were considering the factory tool, I would definitely spend your money on the quality tool from Bieker Engineering.

http://www.biekerengineering.com/products.htm

We use them here and have been very satisfied with their quality.

Speaking of quality and other options....last year we sent out an old Posrche tool to India to have reproductions made up. We received the initial couple of prototypes and have made a couple of revisions. Unfortunately, it's not a real high priority project at this time, so it probably will not be ready for sale for 3-4 more months. Target pricing is under $45. It is a site glass style similiar to the one from Bieker, which is a knock-off of the original Porsche unit.

It is still possible to check/adjust the float level even without the tool. Just requires you to remove the float bowl cover and measure down from the flange. Not real difficult, just a PIA. Rule of thumb is that the float shims are in a 4:1 proportion. IE, if you need the level to drop 4MM, adjust the float down 1MM.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thanks Scott, Would you mind explaining the manual process a little more. I'll ask you when i give you a call for the rebuild kit.