4500 then died

Engine troubles? Try here.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Dang John, Sorry to hear this. I had a '75 Jeep CJ that started doing this on me. I replaced the coil and it was fine after that.

Wonder if there could be a chain reaction type thing going on? Module went bad, took the coil and the ignitor with it?
1973 712M
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Primary causes of Ignitor Failure are incorrect installation (black wire gets (+) will do it every time, or overvoltage/coil failure which then takes out the unit. Have seen very few failures other than the above.

We have NEVER seen an intermittent ignitor with the exception of undervoltage situations. If you do not have 13+ volts it will not fire. (This does not destroy the unit like the overvoltage does.) Once you correct it and get the required voltage it works fine.

An intermittent coil is much more common and not to be messed with because if it completely fails it will take out the ignitor. Sounds like the coil is over-heating and starting to fail. Once it cools down it is working for short periods.

Cheers,

Scott

jacksonpinz wrote:anyone ever have an iginitor go bad or only work some of the time?
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

4500 module is still jumped. I am thinking coil. Gets hot of 35 minutes at 55-60 mph and slowly dies. Strange it wouldn't fire on the new coil at first. Only fired after I had pulled the ignitor, checked it and put it back in.

Scott, I did the conversion 4 weeks ago and it was running fine. Thanks for the civilian cap, ignitor, plug wires and plugs. Top notch stuff. Thanks also for spending the time on the phone with me. Same to Jim and Dennis.

I have heard of Pertronix coils failing from time to time when they are new. Not unheard of. Still a good coil. After I fired it up on the replacement coil, I reved it and checked the voltage at the coil. 17 at idle, 21 reved. Sounds like ti is in specs.

I will run it in the next day or so and see how she does with the new coil. Was running great for the month since the conversion, put probably 500 miles on it.
If you are lucky enough to own a Pinzgauer, then you are lucky enough!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Sounds like overvoltage from a bad ballast resistor. If the coil is extremely hot, you got too much voltage, and the coil is breaking down internally. It usually has a difficult restart unless you let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. If this is the case, change the resistor. The coil should be warm, not hot to the touch. Also check to see if someone did some rewiring to the ignition system, you should get full voltage while the engine is turning over, but lower voltage while it's running.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

David Dunn wrote:Sounds like overvoltage from a bad ballast resistor. If the coil is extremely hot, you got too much voltage, and the coil is breaking down internally. It usually has a difficult restart unless you let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. If this is the case, change the resistor. The coil should be warm, not hot to the touch. Also check to see if someone did some rewiring to the ignition system, you should get full voltage while the engine is turning over, but lower voltage while it's running.

Dave, You have brought this up before so I thought I would link them.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... sc&start=0
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Anyone have a pic of the resistor? Where is it located and what does it look like? Thanks.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Here's a photo from EI's website: http://popcdn.zoovy.lg1.simplecdn.net/i ... 090055.jpg

It's about 2.5" in diameter and is mounted to the front body behind the dash, just above the clutch fluid reservoir.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Before I order a resistor, what voltage am I suppossed to be getting at the coil? I was getting 17 at idle and 21 while reved. I understood this was the correct voltage. Seems that the general consensus is that I am getting too much and frying the coil due to the resistor providing too much juice. If I am getting the right voltage, then how can the resistor be bad? I was told 17-21 was dead on.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

While cranking, voltage is batt voltage(24v), after starter button is released the lower voltage goes through the resistor to the coil. If the resister is not wired correctly the system can operate in reverse, thus overheating the coil.
Use the schematic and check the terminal number vs color at both ends., The pigtail has 3 wires, one end wire should cross to center term of resistor.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."