quick fixes on manifold to heat exchanger leaks?

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinztrek
Barbados

quick fixes on manifold to heat exchanger leaks?

Post by pinztrek »

Any suggested quick fixes on manifold to heat exchanger leaks?

I know that flex couplings are the long term fix, but wondering if there
are quick & dirty fixes that can be used until I can take time to remove
the manifolds and do the flex coupling.

With the official exhaust sealing rings at $28 each, has anyone used alternatives even as a temporary fix? Mainly wanting to reduce the exhaust leak & backfiring for a week or two until I can do it right.

I guess the other alternative is to find a way to do the flex coupling
without having to remove the manifold & grind the ring off. Is it
zizzz wheel hell to try to remove without taking the manifold off?

Any suggestions welcome! I hate smelling like exhaust anytime I crank/drive the pinz!

Have fun,

Alan
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Having done the SAV flex coupling both ways, once with manifolds off and once with manifolds still on, I can tell you it is very uncomfortable lying on your back and doing it with them installed. Unless of course you have a younger, more flexible neighbor who is willing to do it for a few bucks :wink:
Either way it is a great upgrade - less smell, less noise and the engine seems to run smoother.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

They sell fire prof caulk might work . Some of it is rated to 2500 deg f. AT THE HOUSE I may have a tube laying around I could send it your way.just let me know
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

I've considered just cleaning up the joints real good, then packing with lots of the exhaust silicon goop. Would not be in the exhaust stream.

What I was hoping for was something like the hi-temp silicon tubing used for turbo couplers. Inexpensive & available, probably could clamp over the ring on the manifold.

They are good for 400 degrees, probably not hot enough for the header end.

I'll ultimately do flex couplers. Just need a temporary fix. IE: Something I could do just by dropping the muffler/heat exchanger.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That doesn't work if the rings have worn grooves in the couplings.
It is cheaper to do the flex($200) over replacing the worn coupling parts(around $500) :shock:
Also make sure the heat exchanger mount is not loose causing the pipes to mis-align :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Jim LaGuardia wrote: It is cheaper to do the flex($200) over replacing the worn coupling parts(around $500) :shock:
Also make sure the heat exchanger mount is not loose causing the pipes to mis-align :wink:
Yes, that all makes sense. I was stunned to see what the rings cost.

Just trying to find a quick fix till I can take the time to put on flex couplers.

Since one of my manifolds has been off recently I may take it off, which will make dealing with the other easier.

Wonder how hot the exhaust stream just before the heat exchanger..... anyone take a measurement there?

Have fun,

Alan