Smoking when starting?

Engine troubles? Try here.
Peresh

Smoking when starting?

Post by Peresh »

Question: Is it normal to get white smoke upon starting ? If so why? If not what could be the problem ?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Normal, most of these trucks do not have valve seals :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Agreed!
Pinzauers were made at a time when smoke emission wasn't regarded as a problem. The Nato policy of defense in the European theatre was that the Soviets would quickly seal off all the usual main highways if they moved West. The Pinzgauer like many other pieces of "Mil Kit" incl the Harrier were designed to be operated in a stealth mode by using bridges and underpasses, woodland etc as an operating base.
It's kind of funny because if you ever saw a fleet of British Chieftain battle tanks fire up their cold engines, the Leyland L60 multi-fuel powerplant (6 cyl hortizonatally opposed 12 piston unit) would kick out a cloud of smoke to eqaul a good steam train on full firing--So much for stealth!
Having stated all that; There is a provision for seals to be installed on the inlet valve guides on all the later units and we have in fact machined a shoulder on earlier guides/heads to accomodate these seals.
The provison of such does have an effect in some cases where there is wear present.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Ah the smoke, the memories, there was nothing like following a troop of Chiefy,s across country through corn fields and whatever, it felt like you were unstoppable even if you were only in a Landrover.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
lindenengineering

Guys
This is a bit off the topic about smoke but I think those of you might find some interest here.

To elaborate the L60 I refered to in my last post is a battle tank engine installed in the now obsolete Chieftain battle tank that formed the backbone of UK Armed forces. The engine is essentially two 680 cu inch (12litre) in-line six cylinder engines having their cylinder heads removed and stuffed together to form an opposed 12 piston 6 cylinder two stroke diesel/multi fuel engine.
Take a look in its undressed form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rny-xutum0c

It still has its bus/truck engine sound though until give some wellie and the supercharger makes it howl!
Here it is again in it's dressed form as a power pack ready to drop in at a field repair shop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twa40Wqv43Y
See needs valve stem seals! :lol:

I first saw this engine in the mid sixties as an Engineering Apprentice when a few of us ignored the restricted signs and sneaked into the Special Products Area and saw this monster which we though was for a truck! We definately had the "WoW Factor" until the Plant Security Police detained us for spying--We had to sign a copy of the Official Secrets Acts and got a stiff bollocking for disobeying signs, orders and wandering around the plant without permission.
Strangely ten years later I was in Iran working for Leyland and the Shah had a ceremonial battle fleet of 65 tonne units with Chobham armour and called the "Sheer Khan" (Lion King in Farsi). He used them more in ceremonials than the expected battle hours so they needed constant fettling---Then it was no secret!
The unit was phased out for a Rolls Royce Vee 12 Eagle 4 stroke multi fueller and most UK battle tanks were retro'd. The last time I was in Iran just before the Shah abdicated we demo'd a Scammell Commander transporter powered by the new Rolls Eagle which had the same derivative in the tank we had on the trailer at 100 tonnes gross and rolling out of Tehran at 55 mph past the Russian transporters they used lumbering along at 25 mph.
Khodah hafez
Deniz (Dennis)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

There is a wealth of knowledge here and some lovely old Tank Transporter stories, I like the one about why Wynns Heavy Haulage back in the 50,s bought the WW2 Pacific Dragon Wagon as a basis for a heavy Hauler rather than the contemporary Scammell, it had to do with money, but also with those beautiful Knuckey chain driven axles that could be de-clutched on the side that was on soft going. There is also a story told to me by a Transport Driver in the 70,s about a race to the top of some hill on a Tank range in Germany, the newest American tank transporter was loaded up with one of their main battle tanks of the time, The 20 odd year old Thornycroft Mighty Antar had a Cheiftain on board, pretty well matched on weight, they both set off for the top of the hill and the New truck forged ahead, changing up through a multitude of well chosen gear ratios, the Antar didn,t make many changes and was well behind, until the hill got steep!!! the Antar was creeping up and on the final stretch had to pull over onto the dirt to overtake the new truck which it did. When they stopped the driver of the modern truck asked, you must have one hell of an engine, what is it? Rolls Royce Meteor..3/4s of a Rolls Royce Merlin which powered the Spitfire Fighter, how many gears, just 5 that,s really all it needs.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
lindenengineering

dreadnought
Well the Meteor powered the Centurion and I have worked on those Antars belonging to Wynns. In fact I even had a grease job to do on that Pacific Dragon.--Lovely!
I used to be at Watts Factors in Gloucester in the 60's (my home town) to do my dirty hands part of my apprenticeship when I was at Leyland.
Simpler days for sure!
Dennis
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Yep. They all smoke on start up. Most folks aren't used to the way military trucks ran 35 yrs ago! It's just the nature of the beast.