Fan Exploded - Questions

Engine troubles? Try here.
undysworld
Norway

Fan Exploded - Questions

Post by undysworld »

It's been a long summer here... Today my fan exploded. :shock: Pretty noticeable noise - made the engine cover jump. Big excitement.

Is this a normal occurance? (I always wondered why the underside of the engine cover was chewed up.)

Any ideas why? Just old Austrian plastic?

Any advice regarding replacing the damaged one? I have the old one off already. I assume it's a matter of adjusting the belt tension as you replace the part.

Is this usually replaced with a new one, or are used fans reliable enough to use?

Thanks,
Paul
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I have a fan tool if you need to borrow one. Never used it myself yet so I don't have anything to offer as far as re-installation.

I think I may still have a used fan around here somewhere and IIRC it was balanced by Jake Raby for me.

Give me a call if you'd like me to look for it.

Paul C.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Pic's of the fan? Did something get sucked in?
krick3tt

fan exploded

Post by krick3tt »

I found parts of an old fan when I took some of the shroud metal off some time ago. There were no missing pieces on mine so it must have been from some past explosion. These things look like plastic of some sort so they must get brittle over time.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Paul,
You'll be gettin' a call today.

Eric,
Sorry, but the whole digital camera thing is beyond me. I'll see if my kid can help out. Basically, the pieces are about the size of the fins on the fan - 2" x 2" or so. It totally fragmented. I pulled a piece out of the underside of the engine cover where it had embedded itself.

Morris,
I too had stuff in under the shroud. My local VW/Audi/BMW-tech friend was the one who suggested the problem was just old plastic. Also note that SAV has them on the shelf. It must be because they do fail from time to time.

Thanks,
Paul