Loss of Power: 710K

Engine troubles? Try here.
mockingbird812

Loss of Power: 710K

Post by mockingbird812 »

I have a significant loss of power that developed rather quickly (w/i 2 to 3 days). It feels like it is running on 75% of availalble cylinders. I also have alot of backfiring in between shifts. Exhaust smells pretty gasoline-ish - not overpowering, but I think it smells like there is some unburnt gas in the exhaust. To cover the bases, I r/r the fuel filter with no change. I have the original distributor and shielded wiring, but have the Pertronix ignition system installed. BTW, what is the spark plug removing procedure? Special tool? I did a search on this last one but did not see any thing.

Thanks.
Sam
'71 710K
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

My gut says check the coil.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

M Wehrman wrote:My gut says check the coil.
Mark
X2 and the spark plugs... I just use the spark plug wrench that came with the Pinz.... worked great :D
Pinzing is AWESOME.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Sam,

To remove the plug wire, use the open ended wrench and unscrew the wire from the top of the plug. IIRC, it's a 21 mm. You obviously can't get the wrench on straight, sort of just reach in and turn. Mine were not on tight at all.

Once the wire is off, use the long tubular socket to remove the plug, as normal. The same wrench you used to remove the wire is used to turn the tubular socket.
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Thanks for the info fellas. What is a suitable replacement for the coil? Local acquisition is great, but one of our Pinz vendors is fine too.

:D
Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

I pulled the plugs (thanks for the tip - I am ashamed to say I have never worked with this type of shielded ignition wire system, but what's worse is, I have never checked my plugs :oops: ) and all but one are pretty fouled. I was surprised to see that all of my bosch plugs are set at approx 35 to 40 thousandths and my manual states .6 to .7 mms which I calculate to be approx 20 to 30 thousandths. :?

BTW, my Bosch plugs are WC8DC 366.
Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Regapped to 38 thou and checked for spark at each plug. Put it back to gether and my power has returned with no sign of backfiring. Gonna check my carburetion as i may be losing some power there as well. But, overall she is running fine.

Thanks for your inputs. If I want to convert my shielded ignition system to a standard system what recommendations for a:
1. Coil
2. Distributor
3. Wires
4. Plugs
5. Electronic Ignition

Thanks! :)
Sam
'71 710K
Kirby

Try this

Post by Kirby »

Do a search on here for the conversion - I know there is a step by step process out there... went and looked for it, and found it....

here.. >>.... http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/

Go to Technical Section ~ 710-712 ~ Engine

That is another good site for info. BUT this site (real4x4) is great for the info as well!
Pinzing is AWESOME.
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

My problems with plugs fouling were caused more by defective carburator float valves. The constant dripping of excess fuel generated a lot of gunk. Another symptom was, at times, a high idle caused by the rich fuel.

Just as one of those routine Pinzgauer checkup items, have you verified that the accelerator pump spigots in the carburator throats don't drip when you shut the engine off?

-Evan
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Kirby - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Evan - that could be my problem. I will check it out.
Sam
'71 710K