Smoking ........ Very strange !

Engine troubles? Try here.
rospaw

Smoking ........ Very strange !

Post by rospaw »

Started off under heavy braking (lol) it would start smoking OUT OF THE TAIL PIPE. Grayish color smoke very thick and would clear up in app 15 sec. The other day went to the store and going through the parking lot it did it without braking. Took a little longer for it to clear up app 30 sec. It's not just a little smoke it's alot. Truck is stock. Any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks

my thought Valve seal? I have broke two valves in the last 4 years /14000 km not sure if that has anything to do with it
74 710 RAGTOP
Jeeps 74,86,92
max iv 6x6
Excursion
Ford f350 D
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Valve seals or worn oil rings :wink:
Could also be a cracked scavenge pipe :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Jim, what is a scavenge pipe? I am familiar with the Pinzgauer engine, but this term is a new one.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

pinzinator wrote:Jim, what is a scavenge pipe? I am familiar with the Pinzgauer engine, but this term is a new one.
Yes indeed. What is this "scavenge pipe" that you speak of? I think that I also have this problem.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I believe Jim is referring to the Oil Suction Pipe, #7121071182. IIRC, he has mentioned that these can become loose and possibly even fall into the oil pan.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

This must be the part you are referring to, #76 (click on 'Drawing').

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 121071182/

Can this part be replaced with the engine still in the vehicle? It looks easy to do if this is the case. I'm not sure I understand why a crack in the pipe would make the engine smoke, I'm relying on Jim's experience on this one.
rospaw

Old Smokey !

Post by rospaw »

Well i hope i don't have a CRACK PIPE or even a pipe that FELL OFF! Damn that would be bad! Sry couldn't help myself. :lol: A problem with the oil sump pipe means i would not be lubricating the top end? Other words it sucks oil up or is a drain? How do i check to see which problem it is out of my three choices i been given? What foot should i put forward first? Hey TWIN does your only do it hard braking or steep down hill? Smokes heavy then clears in a few seconds?
74 710 RAGTOP
Jeeps 74,86,92
max iv 6x6
Excursion
Ford f350 D
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, it is #76 in the drawing. This is a scavenge pipe, it removes excess oil from the front of the motor to keep from flooding the oil rings on severe inclines. Basically it prevents oil from pooling in the front portion of the block. If the pipe is cracked it can be mig welded back in place.
As for replacement, the flywheel and timing cover and oil pan must be removed and the replacement will need to be hand fitted/ reshaped to fit. That is after pulling and swearing and pulling and swearing while removing the old pipe :shock:
Book procedure is to split the case, I have done it several times without splitting the case 8)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Twin Pinzies

Re: Old Smokey !

Post by Twin Pinzies »

rospaw wrote: Hey TWIN does your only do it hard braking or steep down hill? Smokes heavy then clears in a few seconds?
Yes. Mine started doing it only after long descents (4,400 ft in 7 miles). Afterwards it would smoke, sputter, and eventually foul the plugs. It helped the problem when I lowered the oil level from 3/4 to 1/4-1/2 full. The problem happens very rarely now but it still does happen. Instead of cleaning my plugs every 2 weeks I would like to inspect my scavenge pipe and fix it, but how?