engine won't start

Engine troubles? Try here.
Pols497
United States of America

engine won't start

Post by Pols497 »

Here goes, Put my civilian kit on a couple of weeks ago and have put 20 to 30 miles on my 712. I tried to start it up after parking it just for about an hour and it didn't want to start. It was turning over but it wouldn't fire up. Pumped the throttle, choked it and still nothing. Set for a minute and started cranking again with no throttle and she finaly busted off. Sounded like it was flooded, cleaned out and revved up. Brought it home and killed it. Can't get it started at all now. Put new plugs in it and still won't start. Is there a resistor or a module somewhere that I need to check? My jeep friends are laughing. I need help.[/i]
Roger Melton
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Check for spark, it should jump 1/2 inch or more.
There were some Defective coils. See Scott's post on this subject.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Pols497
United States of America

won't start

Post by Pols497 »

Jim,I checked that and all plugs throw a big spark. The plugs are wet with gas when I pull them.
Roger Melton
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If you have an old 12v coil laying around it would be good to install it for a moment to see if the truck starts. I had an issue with my 712 where it had what looked like great spark and lots of fuel but would not run. Turned out that after getting rid of the flamethrower coil all is better now. BTW I used a bosch blue from a VW store, quick and easy to get. The truck runs great again. Took me some time to get it through my head that since I had spark and fuel the truck should have been running. It is always the simple things that stop these trucks.
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Definitely double-check that coil. I've had those symptoms twice now, and it was the coil both times.
Pols497
United States of America

won't start

Post by Pols497 »

I'll try another coil. That does make sense. thanks for the advice.
Roger Melton
krick3tt

won't start

Post by krick3tt »

I had an issue with the wire from the radio resistor (that 3 inch long silver tube) one of the wires was so frayed that only two strands of the stranded wire were connected. Took a long time to trace it down but after reattaching it the pinz started fine.
Didn't get much juice through those two little strands. Apparently a lot of off road shaking will mess with connections.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Also check the timing... Loose the distributor, crank the engine and move the distributor left to right until it starts. It happened to me once but it was a gradual death. Not sudden like yours.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M