mufflers

Engine troubles? Try here.
indigoth

mufflers

Post by indigoth »

busted a weld on my original muffler and i've been digging for an economic replacement. after looking and searching here and elsewhere, it apprears i've found an alternative that hasn't been mentioned. based on the appearance of the IMCO # CM35, i'd bet a Bosal # 278-031 could be made to work.

it's the rear muffler of a 75-76 mercedes 280S or the rear muffler of a 77-80 mercedes 280SE.

it appears to have the twin inlets with a single outlet. you'd still have to cut the inlets to length and weld on the Pinz flange. the tailpipe treatment would also have to be dealt with as well.

Please, keep in mind that I don't have access to dimensional drawings, so all this is, more or less, guess work.

i'm actually having a buddy of mine re-weld up my old muffler(for free) so i won't get to try the benz muffler out on my own. I post this here so those who are searching can look and see at their leisure, and i'm hoping someone with more information can verify or disprove my assumptions.

happy wednesday, everyone.

jim
spandit

Post by spandit »

I was thinking about using one of these (or similar):

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1093 ... _info.html

but not sure if it's the right dimensions. From rough measuring, the exhausts are 50mm diameter at 60mm centres. The top pipe is 50mm from the bottom of the body, so the centre of the new single pipe would be 105mm from the body
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

THAT is expensive!
spandit

Post by spandit »

A new stainless exhaust in the UK is £375...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: mufflers

Post by audiocontr »

Bosal 278-031 will NOT work. 2 in, 2 out and way too long.

Time to return mine
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)