Starter Problems

Engine troubles? Try here.
ms1223

Starter Problems

Post by ms1223 »

I'm having starter problems. Starter will not engage. This what I've tried so far. Replaced the solenoid, checked and double checked the measurment. Soleniod energized 34mm+-1 per the repair manual. Bench tested starter, checked solenoid for proper engagement. Checked the condition of the rubber backing plate, it was removed cleaned and re installed. Ensured backing place fit flush. Backing plate could only go in one way. Reinstalled starter ensured it fit flush.
When I go to start the truck the starter just spins no engagement. I'm starting to think the worst, flywheel worn out.
I posted a couple of photos on the photo bucket site.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx27 ... 20starter/
Swifty 72 710M
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Mike
Haved you checked the drive one way clutch on the pinion. I could be engaging but spinning on the shaft if the clutch isn't working.
Cheers Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

Dennis,Thanks for the reply. I not sure of the proper method of checking the pinion.
Swifty 72 710M
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Mike
The proper way is to mount the unit in a test stand and test the torque developed against a fixed pinion.
Any decent starter rebuilders should have one!

The hand test is to grasp the pinion and see if you can easily turn in one diredtion on the one way sprag clutch and not in the other. This in a built in safety feature for the starter in the eventof engine kick back.

The stall test will confirm though the health of the starter.
Best regards to you and the missus
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

Thanks Dennis, The starter was rebuilt and now works great. I finally made some time and installed it today.
The "bench check" with a pair of jumper cables is NOT the way to check for proper operation. It worked fine on the bench and the starter gear would only go in one direction when I tried it by hand.
I made a wrench to get that top bolt and it works like a charm. Of course putting the starter in and out 3 times helped getting good at it.
Swifty 72 710M
spandit

Post by spandit »

My starter nearly fell off at the weekend because the mount failed - it doesn't have the crescent shaped bit of metal at the top like yours - is this a later mod for that reason?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)