New owner... engine trouble..

Engine troubles? Try here.
MSPinzi

New owner... engine trouble..

Post by MSPinzi »

Recently picked up a 73' 712M. (Really excited BTW). It was running great all day. Went to restart it up and trouble set in. It cranks over, catches and starts for a second and dies... No throttle response and almost seems like its starving for fuel..
Its obviously getting spark since its starting for a second..
When I move the throttle linkage by hand fuel does shoot into the carb throat.
My question is before I dive into possible fuel pump or other issues could it be a simple #10 breaker ? I pushed the button and it seems ok. I wasn't sure.. if the breaker is faulty and the idle shut-off solenoid is not working would that cause this type of problem ?
If so can I bypass the breaker temporarily ?

Any help is appreciated.

Mitch
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Another thing to check -- wiggle the key switch. I have one that occasionally does not make full connections to all the points, so when I turn the key on the dash lights up and the engine cranks and wants to start, but as soon as I release the starter button it imediately dies. The switch won't keep power to the coil to allow it to continue running, but the bypass for the ballast resistor is working, hence will run when cranking but not when the starter is released.

Try jiggling the key; I've also had some slight success reaching under the dash and gently proding the terminals. Seems like the 12:00 o'clock terminal made the most difference. If so, replace the ignition switch.

A word of warning: wiring under the dash is full of brittle terminals, and pulling on wiring will often result in snaping the crimp away from the terminal. Then just try to find which terminal it was... (ask me how I know).

Yes, you can bypass the breaker with a suitable fuse as needed.

OR, your carb bowls may be drained. Your symptoms sound like my 710 after it has sat for a day or two, and I try to start it without partial choke. It wants to start, but won't keep running for more than a couple of revolutions. It almost keeps running if I pump the pedal, but after a while the bowls fill and it starts normally.

Best of luck,

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Pull the engine cover and turn the key on, now unplug and plug back in each fuel solonoid, they will click if good.
For the breaker, if it is bad just add a fuse holder to the back of the breaker and use a mini fuse(7.5 amp).
No modification to wires needed.

Are you sure you have plenty of fuel and good spark ?
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Jim L. probably has it. Doesn't the solenoid wire run through the dreaded Molex connector on the air tin?

Jim M.
MSPinzi

Sticky switch.. thanks guys

Post by MSPinzi »

Thanks Jimm. That was it. Took your advise. After verifying at the coil there was no juice with the ignition switch on, I began to fiddle with it and noticed the voltmeter jump. I got it in the correct position, tightened the switch housing and wroooom..started right up.. Thanks again saved me lots of time !!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Thanks Jimm. That was it.
I was right? Oh, hell, the world must be coming to an end!

Glad your new toy is running again!

Jim