Hand throttle linkage

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

Hand throttle linkage

Post by spandit »

My hand throttle is just a square section rod about 4" long which just comes right out if I pull it - how is it supposed to be connected to the throttle pedal (not clear in the parts diagram)?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
krick3tt

throttle

Post by krick3tt »

There is a screw into a cylinder that captures the 'wire' of the throttle, the cable. Mine was as yours and it took me awhile to figure it out.
You can order a new assembly and it makes the whole thing work.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
krick3tt

throttle

Post by krick3tt »

There is a screw into a cylinder that captures the 'wire' of the throttle, the cable. Mine was as yours and it took me awhile to figure it out.
You can order a new assembly and it makes the whole thing work.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Winter Beater

hand throttle

Post by Winter Beater »

I removed the T with the square end and drilled a hole. Insert a section of wire and used Silver solder to make an extension. It works but I think a flexible wire (like a sink plug) would work better. Sometimes the stiff wire gets bent and makes it difficult to set the idle accurately.
captxmas

Post by captxmas »

My hand throttle ( the one attached next to the choke control on floor in front of drivers seat) is attached to a round rod that attaches to the caburator throttle linkage which activates the dual carbs. Screw adjustments on pivoting round connectors. Only the choke is cable actuated. Seems there are two ways the throttle can be activated.
Capt Xmas
Winter Beater

linkage

Post by Winter Beater »

Captxmas, I think we are talking about the same thing. My cable was missing -I only had the "T" and needed to make something that would work. I still find it difficult to set the idle properly and will change it to something that pivots better.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Sorry to open an old thread again.

Have just threaded the square section bar M5. Now I can thread one of my throttle linkages onto it and work out something from there on as keeping her idling this evening in the cold was difficult!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

To piggyback on Robin's thread... my hand throttle works OK when you pull it up..... but it won't stay up ! Turning the knob clockwise should "seize" the assy. but it doesn't. Is there an easy fix lurking ? Got quite a bit of very cool white stuff here at the moment, so won't be mauling about underneath for a while ! All help appreciated - as always.

Thanks.

Mike 712M
spandit

Post by spandit »

Mike,

There is a small nut around the square rod - try turning it upside down if you can - this fixed mine
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Thanks for that Robin. I'll give that a try.

Mike.

712M
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The hand throttle shouldn't be needed to keep the truck idling should it?
spandit

Post by spandit »

In a properly tuned vehicle when it's not freezing, yes, but mine needs a few revs initially
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Mine doesn't require the use of the hand throttle for idling at all. It comes in handy after the river crossing at a certain bothy every month. (You know the one ScottishPinz).
After reaching the tarmac, I dry out the brakes with the hand throttle on for a few hundred yards until they "bite" uniformly . Have to keep the hand throttle held in place whilst steering ! Not recommended really I suppose.