Sputtering out while driving...

Engine troubles? Try here.
O'ahuPinz
New Zealand

Sputtering out while driving...

Post by O'ahuPinz »

Howsit,
The other week I was running my pinz all day up in the mountains. When I was returning home late afternoon I hit stop and go traffic during rush hour. After awhile of inching along the Pinz started idling sporadically, sputtered, and died. When I restarted it, I kept revving the engine but when I eased on the throttle it choked and died - no power, just died on the spot. Luckily my co-pilot was young and strong cause he pushed me out of traffic twice.

I tried choking it and running it like that for a little to no avail. Finally I found a spot where I could pull off and give the engine a rest. After about a half an hour I tried starting it again with the choke but it idled hard and died. After several attempts, I got it going - still running rough - as I went I pushed in the choke and it smoothed out and ran me all the way home without a hitch.

Does anyone have any idea what that could have been? I am no mechanic but I know some really good ones. If anyone can offer some advice, I can relay that info to a capable mechanic.

Another thing I noticed which might be related is that after driving it for awhile it progressively becomes more difficult to start back up again. It will cra-a-a-a-ank and then turn over...maybe. When starting it in the morning there's no problem at all. It starts strong and runs smooth it only starts giving problems after running for awhile. Again, if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
E ola pono, e ola no...
karoja

Post by karoja »

Have you disconnected the fuel line at the carb and checked if it squirts fuel when cranking? If it doesn't, its the fuel filter or fuel pump. Just had that problem recently.
Karl
http://www.monkeybaymarina.com
712 Camper / 710 M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

My bet would be the fuel filter.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

yup am guessing it is a fuel issue go with the cheapest thing first, the filter...after that a fuel pump pressure test would be in order...if I am not mistaken the pump should put out 3-5 psi
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Kaweeka

If you get stuck or

Post by Kaweeka »

need a mechanic - call John Martin at HAWAIIAN DESIGNS (ph 235-5197). Maybe if you buy a canoe :shock: he will share the name and number of his mechanic (who makes house calls!) . . .
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Also, look to the simple things first before reaching to replace the fuel pump. Check the ends of the fuel lines; both before and after the pump and look for cracks. Subtle cracks in the fuel line at the ends allow air to be sucked into the fuel line and also look like fuel starvation. Remedy: cut about an inch off the ends and reconnect. Ask me how I know...
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Also, look to the simple things first before reaching to replace the fuel pump. Check the ends of the fuel lines; both before and after the pump and look for cracks. Subtle cracks in the fuel line at the ends allow air to be sucked into the fuel line and also look like fuel starvation. Remedy: cut about an inch off the ends and reconnect. Ask me how I know...
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Check the fuel solenoids and look for a popped breaker. I think the correct fuel pressure is 1.5 lbs.
karoja

Post by karoja »

Blowing into the line into the tank is also a good first meassure, just to be sure.
Karl
http://www.monkeybaymarina.com
712 Camper / 710 M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

As I understand the manual fuel pressure should be 0.3 bar = 4.351 pound/square inch.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
O'ahuPinz
New Zealand

Post by O'ahuPinz »

You guys are awesome! I guess I came to the right place. When I have time within the next week, I'll check the fuel lines and the fuel filter. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Mahalo nui!
E ola pono, e ola no...