Engine leaks - worth fixing or NEW MOTOR

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

found it... I got a mirror down there and the first two gaskets are leaking at the bottom but the second one is REAL 4x4 BAD.hahahaha

Thanks again to all and thanks Jim for seeing that...you are amazing for sure.

Thanks to all...I will replace them when it cools down and then I will give you a report...now there is only a leak on my stearing box and the friggin speedo.

slowly but surely.

SO I GUESS I WILL JUST HAVE TO TIE UP SOME SALMON FLIES IN THE MEAN TIME SO WE CAN CATCH SOME KING SALMON AND RAINBOWS TOMORROW.

LIFE IS GOOD

jer bear
spandit

Post by spandit »

My steering box leaks too from the seal at the bottom. The casing is slightly deformed/cracked as it's been bashed at some stage. I just keep topping it up with fresh EP80W90
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Skeej

Re: Another-same problem simple fix=new valve cover gaskets

Post by Skeej »

Jerbearyukon wrote:found it... I got a mirror down there and the first two gaskets are leaking at the bottom but the second one is REAL 4x4 BAD.hahahaha

Thanks again to all and thanks Jim for seeing that...you are amazing for sure.
jer bear
Jer, I had the same prob- and here's a tip for other Pinz newbs like me- to watch for-
a couple drips of oil in the drive, for a week or so, then suddenly a bunch while driving with white smoke from the oil vaporizing off the exhaust pipes... pushed my luck driving the last couple miles home, and:

Took Jim's advice and
a. found the gasket sucked in on #3.

Per Jim this is pretty typical with any major restriction on intake air- so I looked further and

b. found the top insulation/foam in the inlet tunnel worked itself partway loose, hanging down obstructing 1/2 ro 3/4 of the tunnel...
c. a lucky break as Jim points out if it made it to the fan, it would have blown that up, at a cost of $200 in parts... :oops:

Ordered up 4 of the oem (cork) gaskets from Scott at EI, took the old ones off, gently resurfaced the covers with my belt sander and some 220 grit, stuck the new gaskets on the covers with Indian Head shellac (from Pep Boys per another poster here) on the valve cover side,
put a thin layer of grease on the other side of the gasket to make them "seal" and...

so far so good...

Only thing I notice is and here I admit my newbie cluelessness- maybe someone can fill me in...

1. I didn't have washers on the acorn nuts, and guess I will be calling Scott...
2. can't find a torque spec anywhere- in the manual, or here- just a reminder by Scott at EI that you should retighten after a few miles...

I have them on to finger tight, plus about 1/2 turn more... that seem ok to you all?
Thats not a knife...THIS is a knife!
~ Crocodille Dundee
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Skeej wrote:I have them on to finger tight, plus about 1/2 turn more... that seem ok to you all?
15 Nm, per repair manual appendix page 2

Ed 8)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Skeej

Post by Skeej »

edzz wrote:
Skeej wrote:I have them on to finger tight, plus about 1/2 turn more... that seem ok to you all?
15 Nm, per repair manual appendix page 2

Ed 8)
Thanks Edzz!

...time to buy a repair manual!
Thats not a knife...THIS is a knife!
~ Crocodille Dundee
krick3tt

Re: Engine leaks - worth fixing or NEW MOTOR

Post by krick3tt »

Spoke with Scott yesterday and he will not have repair/service manuals for several weeks
but a shipment is coming.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I buy some books and manuals on Haffys, Pinnys, SDP etc from Verwuster Verlag (a bookshop in Austia).....They have Repair Manuals and sell worldwide. http://www.motorbooks.at
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

You could also try SAV for manuals if you're anxious to get one. According to their website they have service manuals in stock.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Kaweeka

Post by Kaweeka »

for the manual you may want to see if pinzinator still has some . . .
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Jerr,

The speedo leak got the best of me last summer ... Arrg! Ordered a electronic one with a hall sensor, cut a small piece of cork gasket and - no more leaks. (from there anyway)

Used the GPS to calibrate it and so far 1200 miles and very happy with the new part.

Off topic question: Do you get hit hard with customs / duty for parts from SAV or EI?
Paul Gudmundson

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

my speedo has been leaking slowly for 10 years put new gaskets and still wet just not enough to worry about. shipping to canada can be a pain across the border depending how its shipped usps is the best but takes a bit longer to get. if use ups or fedx you get hit with about a 100 bucks brokerage fees that suck donkey you know what.also you try to order more parts to fill the boxes that are used 4 seals 26$ shipping another 26$ so the more you need the better the shipping costs.