Back firing - loss of power - dead machine - you name it.

Engine troubles? Try here.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

The old crap in the tank trick. Don't forget to inspect the spare 20 liter tank for liner deterioration also.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Yipper....So I drained it all and got what I thought was all of the floaties.

So then I get home and the drain cap is LEAKING.

I tried to tighten it but it won't stop seeping. I cleaned the copper ring as best I could...what to use NOW.

I drained the tank again (only had a jerry can in her) and MORE STUFF CAME OUT...guess that was the reason for the seep was to make me find the rest.

So I flush her again with 10 more gallons of fuel and got a bit more but I think we have it cased now.

I drained the cans back into the tank through a cloth (old CLEN bedsheets) WOW the crap that came out was amazing.

SO NOW......how do you normally stop the seeping ......JUST GET ANOTHER COPPER RING?????

jer bear
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I second Jerbearyukon's idea for a Pinz course.
I don' t mind getting some basic repair/maintainence instructions. We get a lot of great ideas/ advice on these forums, and I don't mind carrying extra fan belts, fuel pump, etc. Just have never changed a fan belt and don't know even where the fuel pump is. I'm a little hesitant to rumage around and remove panels, don't know when i'll just muck things up that were good to start with! Would be better to see them done under shop conditions before I have to do it some night on the side of the Hwy.
I'd be happy to volunteer some time with Jim L, Dennis or others adept at these things.
Ed
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

One thing I have been finding as I have been going through the motions of becoming familar with my Pinz is that they were built TO RUN.....simple.....I think I was always looking for a COMPLICATED and EXPENSIVE fix for everything.

Now I realize it's mostly mechanical and there is a process IF YOU HAVE THE TIME and the WANTINGNESS to LEARN.....

Having said that I WOULD BE HOOPED WITHOUT ALL THE EXPERITISE on this site. I don't like re-inventing the wheel and other pppls experience is PRICELESS and saves TIME and MONEY and I thank you all for your help.

I do believe it would be a great asset to have a course once a year or something (I WILL PAY) to do some basic maitenance and small repair course.

Some of the jobs you need special tools and that I don't mind paying for but to be able to diagnose a problem out on the road is what I am looking for.

I don't think I have the tools to do a Seal leak in the diffs....need a spring tool etc.

But this job I just completed would be doable with some spare PINZ PARTS in the truck...I actually had FUN DOING IT.

I smell like crap especially covered in GAS RIGHT NOW.....but a hot shower will make it better for my wife in bed tonight :wink:

MY FIRST GUESS WAS SOMETHING IN THE TANK...oddly enough, but I thought that would be tougher to do so I opted to look elsewhere.

Just so glad to have all of you to help me see the logical progression off the problem though. It was good to change the hoses and the fuel filter and also I bought spare parts for down the road. I know when I move to Costa Rica I will need to be able to do most of the maintenance and repairs on my own out of neccessity.

Thanks everyone......

Jer Bear
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jerry,

The rings are available cheap through the usual suppliers. Buy a dozen, then you've got 'em. They fit all the plugs.

The tank, if it lost it's lining, should probably be relined. There are companies that clean and reline them. But a friend of mine cleaned and relined his own motorcycle gas tank recently. I do not know where he got the supply kit for this. But I assume if it can be done to a motorcycle tank, it could be done to a Pinz as well.

Michael,

Sorry if I was pushing the "shotgun" or "W.A.G." (wild a$$ guess) method. I recently bought a filter and all the hose and clamps to replace the whole shebang for under $7. At that price, I'd simply replace anything that even smelled half bad.

Jerry's got a K, so getting into the tank for an inspection is a little extra work (with the table there). I use the temporary tank method to isolate tank problems quickly. It also allows for an easy test of pump pressure without worrying about the supply of fuel to the pump. This could have/should have been done prior to replacing the hose/filter and would have shown the tank to be the culprit, without replacing parts.

Most of us do not have the luxury and benefit of having Jim in our neighborhood. :cry: Would that we did. But the next best thing is going through it step by step this way. Jerry can probably learn best by getting his hands on it.

And for that matter, Ed, do not be afraid to start poking around. I think that highly unusual vehicles tend to intimidate their owners. They seem too mysterious. Buy the manuals, and learn to enjoy your hours spent working on the truck. Try to be aware of what you don't know, so you can either ask questions or hire someone for the really tough stuff. Every repair will increase your knowledge.

Dennis Williams from Linden has toyed with the idea of holding classes for some years. I seem to remember Jim doing some similar activities. Perhaps it's time to put in a serious request for such...?
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Jer, the things you learned doing this were invaluable and will help in all facets or automotive ownership. My first teacher broke it down to 3 simple items that had to be present for a engine to run..air, fuel, and spark..it sounds simplistic and to a degree it is however it keeps the diagnostic tree organized and once something is ruled out as good..one can move on to the next item on the decision tree. I run a shop supervising a group of 13 mechanics you would be surprised how many times a problem which was troublesome turned out to be the most simple rudimentary problem but the mechanic forgot to go to the basics and dove right into checking sensors, computers, control modules only to find that the true cause of the problem is a low battery. As for a course on a Pinz..it dosent exist..not here anyway..perhaps in Austria or switzerland..your best course..is Pinz ownership..and NOT haveing a repair shop that specializes in Pinz and unimog repair forces you to become very familiar with your vehicle on all levels..which giving where you live is an asset in everyway. My suggestion for you is to see if there are local automotive schools or boces courses at your local college and take automotive courses if you are so inclined..they will teach you the fundamentals of repair and maintenance..go as far as you want..all the way to a certified auto technician if the bug bites ya..could open up a whole new career for you..ya never know!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Lining or coating a fuel tank supplies can be found on the net...however I have used one from the Eastwood company which specializes in special automotive restoration tools, chemicals and paints...google it...all their items are good
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I am not an auto mechanic. I was however a bike mechanic for 13 years, so I'm pretty handy with mechanical things.
After driving and troubleshooting my three 710m's for the last 6 years, I have learned to NOT trust any modern car mechanics with my trucks. The only time that I have ever had a problems was when somebody else messed with them. Now I am the only one allowed to touch them! Seriously!!
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

NEXT PROJECT - REDO THE BRAKES.

I have the brake shoes and I have never done brakes before. Do you need to turn the drums?

Just don't want to put new shies/pads on and wreck them.

IS THIS SOMETHING I CAN DO OR SHOULD I GET A SHOP TO DO IT.

just asking...crap the caps lock is on sorry...lap tops hahaha.

I know they are just about metal on metal.

I will ask where I can get the tank relined too.