Throttle linkages/ball joints - would these fit?

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

Throttle linkages/ball joints - would these fit?

Post by spandit »

My plastic ball joints are a bit worn and I'm reluctant to take them off as I'd only snap them.

Having a look around, I found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0433591858

They look a bit sturdier and can be removed without destroying them in the process - comments?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I just carry a dozen in my truck tool box. SAV has them and they are not all that expensive.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Robin, you’re trying to reinvent the wheel again. :shock: The factory spec. joints hold up for many years, :idea: if they need replacing just get a set from E.I. or your local supplier.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
spandit

Post by spandit »

If they hold up so well, why keep a spare set? I think it's useful to find alternatives to parts as original bits are getting scarcer.

How does one disconnect the plastic linkages anyway? Do they just pop off? My forward throttle linkage is loose and it looks like disconnecting the fittings is the only way of tightening it
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

The plastic ends just pop off. They are not unique to the pinz so this particular part is not one that needs an alternative. I agree alternatives need to be found for some of the parts which are getting hard to find but looking for more expensive parts is not the way I would want to go for these vehicles
spandit

Post by spandit »

The eBay item I posted was for 10 units at £11.75 - using today's conversion into US dollars (www.xe.com), that works out at $1.84 a piece - the SAV part (http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... o=9014708/) is $2.45 - presumably plus tax. The Halinger-Technik (UK) price is £1.95 ($3.05) - again, plus tax

So, not so expensive after all and probably more robust than plastic ones
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

Perhaps you ought to buy a lot and give 'em a try. They do say they are for Webers. ???

I wasn't able to watch the youtube video, but I assume they'd disconnect in a similar manner. And you're correct that they are cheaper than the plastic parts, for whatever reason.

I'd say, what have you got to lose by trying 'em? If they work, you could sell the remainder at $2 each and recoup your investment.

FWIW, when we removed mine, we were extremely careful not to break them. We used a small pick to work into the slot near the snap-on end to help ease them off the ball. In 8+ years of ownership, I've never broken even one plastic clip. (knock on wood!!)
spandit

Post by spandit »

I probably will as I'm bound to break my plastic ones sooner or later!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I cannot see the ebay link but i know porsche sells the metal version with spring clip for $3.50 each. Designed to work with their Zenith carbs. They work great and wont break.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

Any idea how much it would cost to post 2 to the U.S.? If it's not prohibitive, I'd offer to buy a few of those, should you end up buying the lot. I'd be willing to guinea pig it, and I bet pcolette would take a couple on a lark...

Paul
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

It has been a long time since I have looked at those, but the original plastic joints are 20 to almost 40 years old, and in the heat of the engine compartment the plastic gets brittle and breaks. Stay with the original , and if you don't fiddle with the carbs all the time, they'll last another 30 years. Carrying a couple spare is a good idea , as you are pretty dead in the water without them
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

They sell them at auto zone in the help section I have them on my linkage at the throttle body.
spandit

Post by spandit »

undysworld wrote:Robin,

Any idea how much it would cost to post 2 to the U.S.? If it's not prohibitive, I'd offer to buy a few of those, should you end up buying the lot. I'd be willing to guinea pig it, and I bet pcolette would take a couple on a lark...

Paul
Paul,

Don't know how much it would cost, sorry. You'd be better off contacting the seller and getting a batch of 10 for yourself (assuming he has more - it says he has more than 10 available)? Looks like a fairly common part, mind, so shouldn't be a problem to get Stateside. As Audiocontr says, Porsche sell a part designed for the Zenith carb

David,

My plastic joints have worn and gone slack - the beauty of the metal ones is that they're adjustable. I've bought a set anyway so will see what they're like once they arrive
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:idea: One of the nice things about an inexpensive plastic part riding on a more expensive, more difficult to replace metal part is the cheap easy to replace part is the one that is most likely to wear out.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
spandit

Post by spandit »

That's true, Ed, but the other metal parts wouldn't be too difficult to replace and I doubt I'll still be driving it in 30 years time - can barely afford the gas now (current price per US Gallon in the UK = $6.98)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition