Cleaning the gas tank (the baffle area)

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jerbearyukon

Cleaning the gas tank (the baffle area)

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So I got the tank out and took it to the local rad shop. They had told me they could clean the tank (sight unseen).

So I dropped it off and originally he was going to put it in the caustic tank (dunno why he changed his mind now).

NOW he just wants to add some light acid and then drain and high pressure wash.

HE IS CONCERNED about the baffle area because there is no access to it.

What do you think.

I have ordered the kit to do it all but they don't figure it will be here for about three weeks still.

I have had to clean the tank three times in three weeks since the first clogging took place. Anyway any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to be able to OFFER ADVICE SOON but I am on the learning curve currently..sorry :(

Jer Bear
SAM. C.

Petrol Tank Cleaning

Post by SAM. C. »

Mate I had to cut mine open to gain access to the areas I could not get to. I cut 3 windows in the tank, got it sandblasted and had it welded up. To cut the windows I drilled a row of small pilot holesand cut it with a hacksaw (one of the ones that holds the blade on the end and has no spine). I tried soaking it but to no avail. I posted my experiences before under Red Death I think.

Good Luck

Sam
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

probably the best way so far.

Cost 100 bucks to get it high pressure hosed so far and he couldn't get everything.

then 250 bucks for the kit including the Paint stripper gallon.

Then alot of dicking around so far and the fumes...WOW.

so $350.00 so far adn now the work begins.....whats a new one worth.

Or cutting it (YOURSELF) and doing the sandblasting 60 bucks and 60-100 for the welding ...hmmmm

I am not sure if I will get it all out of the rear baffle either after all of this....think she will be on the table in the morning.

I will do the stuff they said to get the paint off though and then cut it after that to see what it didn't do....that would be a good experiment for others I think.

SO Did you coat it or just leave it metal?

Jer bear.
SAM. C.

Fuel Tank

Post by SAM. C. »

I had a kit with an etch coat a flush agent and a top coat that was a silvery colour which I applied after the welding was done. It was clean as a whistle after sandblasting and like new after the kit had been applied. I got the kit here in Oz but I am sure it is basically the same as the kit that Expedition Imports Sells I too went through a few steps prior to the cutting solution but there was no way of getting it clean and I was a bit fussy as I had just paid $500 for a carb rebuld. It is not half as drastic as it looks and a lot easier than shaking it around with paint stripper in it trying hard to delude myself into thinking I was getting everything. After I cut it open I saw I had hardly touched the red stuff in the ends prior to cutting.

I also looked at a new one and it was expensive.

Sam
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

so sam did you just leave the tank or coat it after with the stuff in the kit?

I am going to do the same as you bjut I will take pics...I have done all the cleaning stuff they said as per instructions and I can see through the access holes that alot of the sealer is still on the tank....didn't work very well.

Jer Bear
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So this is as good as the stripper was...not very good - I tried flushing but much was left inside especially where the back baffle is.

My suggestion it just to cut it and sandblast...don't bother spending the money on the kit...imho

video

after the sand blasting

have her welded up tomorrow - also the 50 gallon tank showed up for the back...looking gooddddddddd

jer bear
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Been watching your posts and your repairs,you're Pinz should pass for a factory refurb!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Yeah I know but I am having alot of fun in the process and it's lots of learning.

Next is the new tank from Cabelas....it's a 50 gallon plastic tank and I have to find out what kinda collar to put on it for the static electricity so I can bond it to the chassi. I will have to go before the cutoff switch so it's always bonded.

MAYBE Dennis or Jim will chime in here to let me know....otherwise it's down to the boat shop.

This will be fun...have a new gauge for it and I have to run a fuel line to a three way valve so I can run either tank..then venting and finally the filler. Thinking of putting the filler on the back so it is out of harms way.

I will see what the masses say when I post the pics tomorrow. Be nice to have 70 gallons though.

Jer BEar
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

THE CONTINUING STORY OF A MAN WHO HAS GONE TO THE DOGS.

So far I have invested about 350 bucks into this and I did the sandblasting and the cutting and the stripping of outside paint to make it easier for welding.

I had to take it to a shop here....they did a nice job and pressure tested it , but it cost me 4 HOURS LABOUR...

Which equates to $405.00 btw so we are up to $755.00 and I did most of the work....but I wasted 250 on the kit and stripper so that won't cost you that.

So if the new one is about 6-700 bucks and it is guranteed not to have the liner come out in 25 years I think IF I WAS YOU i would just BUY IT.

Here's some more pics though:

first coat of primer and then paint - I painted it twice -

mounted - sure is nice to have a big shop to use too.

I learned lots and I hope I will save you the aggrevation of this job.

So if you cut is apart yourself (be sure to clean it good and drain it so there are NO FUMES BTW - or kaboom) and rent a sandblaster....I think it would be worth doing it yourself.

Get it welded by a professional too.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE STRIPPER AND THE KIT...waste of MONEY.

OH AND NOW THE DRAIN IS LEAKING.....when will it END. I have some of the copper "O" rings coming but there not here yet.

Jer BEar