Sea Foam engine additive

Engine troubles? Try here.
Twin Pinzies

Sea Foam engine additive

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I am not the kind of guy that is be prone to believing in instant and miraculous results from an additive (in a can) but WOW... Sea Foam really does work!
I have tried other treatments with some success but this stuff is a MUST for anyone that owns a Pinzgauer.
Try it! Your Pinz WILL run noticeably better.
krick3tt

sea foam additive

Post by krick3tt »

Great commercial...what do it do?...and why would I want to put this stuff in my pinz?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

I have been using sea foam for years now..mostly in my motorcycles but thew a can into the pinz as soon as I got it..I love the stuff and now use it in all my vehicles...good product! 8)
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Around here, in the summer, they run what's called a "tough truck" competition. It's jumps and stuff. Several years back, one friend gave another an old Ford van, which we then proceeded to strip down to the frame, for a race truck. The van hadn't run in many years, and when we finally got it running, the engine was pretty rough (major understatement here).

We ran a hose into a vacuum tap on the intake, and dropped it into the SeaFoam can, which it drained in about a second. It proceeded to sputter a little, but then throw this monster cloud of noxious smoke for about 5 minutes. Then it ran like a watch.

The truck went on to win several years worth of races, with no further enhancement. FWIW, I'm a believer. It's the one brand of "engine gunk" that I keep on hand.
Twin Pinzies

Re: sea foam additive

Post by Twin Pinzies »

krick3tt wrote:Great commercial...what do it do?...and why would I want to put this stuff in my pinz?
It's an engine treatment. Put it your Pinz, let it smoke, then enjoy a smoother running rig.
krick3tt

sea foam additive

Post by krick3tt »

OK, so I put it in the pinz...is it an oil additive, gas additive, does it go down the throat of the carb while running?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Morris,

The can has directions for several different uses, including in the oil IIRC. I can only speak for it's use through the intake, as being so noticeably effective.

But I've put it directly into the gas tank too. It just didn't seem as huge of an impact.

I generally don't believe in these goops. But that van engine sold me.

Paul
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

DO NOT...I REPEAT... DO NOT PUT SEA FOAM INTO THE CRANKCASE OF A PINZ. Seafoam has the wonderful ability to breakdown engine deposits and sludge which is great in a modern vehicle but to do this in a 35 year old military vehicle with unknown miles and loose engines invites other problems blowby being one of them, and another danger is loosening years of gunk which clogs the oil filter and oil galleries. I made the mistake of using seafoam in the crankcase of a 25 yo vehicle that prior to the application did not smoke on startup but one day after smoked like a chimney. I now use seafoam in all my vehicles fuel system, and on my modern vehicles a few ounces in the crankcase 100 miles prior to an oil change. Another property of seafoam is that it treats the fuel making it stabil during the winter months when vehicles may not be in use....anyhow...one last disclaimer...I am in no way employed or have vested interests in seafoam, its company, or affiliates

710M
krick3tt

sea foam additive

Post by krick3tt »

I had visions of the HOA racing down the street toward my house like the villagers after the monster as my beloved pinz sat in the drive smoking like a forest fire after using this product.
I am also reminded of the TV ads about some new miracle drug that has so many side effects that the warning is more fearsome than the disease it claims to eradicate.

Adding things to an engine to solve a problem does not appear, to me, a way to improve a well designed machine that may have been misused for so long by a previous owner.

I can appreciate the use of something by those that are mechanically inclined and know exactly what they are doing and can remedy a problem for the short term. I hesitate to add to my problems but do appreciate the explanations of those that have used this product and discovered its far reaching complications.

My Dad used to run our old truck and pour diesel down the carb to clean it out and as kids we would run through the smoke and play hide and seek...ah, the memories.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Pete,

You're absolutely right. Good points.

I didn't convey the fact that the van was, essentially, junk. Blasting that engine as we did absolutely carried risks, but in that case, it was worth the risk.

When mixing it in the tank, the effect was way less dramatic.

Morris,

There were all kinds of smoke which some of us endured as youth. :wink: They should be pleased it's just SeaFoam clouding up the streets.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Did you just drizzle it into each carb while the truck was running?
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

No sucking it down the intake is a drastic move...mixing it in a tank of fuel is the best and least worrisome way of using this product it works gradually but noticably

710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Did you just drizzle it into each carb while the truck was running?
No. We disconnected a vacuum line at the intake, attached a hose to it, and dropped the other end into the SeaFoam can, while the engine was revved.
a drastic move..
Correct. Pete's probably right that doing this to an old Pinzgauer may well lead to problems. The van chassis had little value.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Turns out the car parts store next door stocks this stuff and he has many customers that swear by it. I bought a bottle and will pour it in the tank and report back.
Fleg

Post by Fleg »

McCall Pinz wrote:Turns out the car parts store next door stocks this stuff and he has many customers that swear by it. I bought a bottle and will pour it in the tank and report back.
I know a lot of people who swear by the stuff but I've never used it or never seen the results directly. Always been curious about it though.