Sea Foam engine additive

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jon_Gilbart

Re: Sea Foam engine additive

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

I know this is a 2 year old thread, but I wanted to add my experience with Sea Foam added to a full tank of gas, as well. I just recently purchased a 1971 Pinzgauer 710K from a gentleman on this board, that himself had previously purchased from another gentleman on this board years ago. From what I understand, the Pinz has been sitting for 2 years or so up in New York, not having been driven at all. When I got it back to Maryland at around 1 AM, I was so excited to have a Pinzgauer again (I previously had a 712M) that I took her down off the auto transport and tried to start her up. She backfired so much that I thought the neighbors would call the cops, fearing that there was a gun fight outside! Anyhow, I retired for the night and tried again the following day after topping her off with fresh 93 octane gas. Again, she ran like hell--started up pretty quick but backfired like crazy. At the time, I couldn't tell if she had much power or not b/c the emergency brake was stuck on. After getting the E-brake unstuck, I took her out for a spin and she could barely make it up the hill in 2nd gear. I came back home, added about a 3/4 full can of Sea Foam to the gas tank, and proceeded to drive her as much as a could. It's only been about 3-4 days now, but she's already running MUCH BETTER! She doesn't backfire anywhere near as much, except when I let off the throttle and let her deccelerate. Under acceleration she does fine (though still a little anemic in the power department--much better than before, though), and while idling she does fine, but backfires when I deccelerate. Anyhow, I just got my repair manual from Expedition Imports, so I will start to do what I can to actually FIX the problems (if I can find out what they are!), but I will agree with the others that the Sea Foam seemed to be very effective when added to the gas. -Jon
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Jon check for either a vacuum leak and also make sure the carb base has not loosened up. This is a common problem and would cause your backfiring. To check remove the air cleaner assembly and grab the carb body, pull and twist on the carb any movement indicates a screw that has vibrated loose. If found in this condition the carbs will have to come off the intake manifold but be careful because if the screw is loose it could fall out of the carb as you remove it and either fall into never never land...or into the intake manifold :shock: good luck and happy Easter
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I'd also check the exhaust system for a hole. That would explain the back firing on deceleration.
'76 710K
Jon_Gilbart

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

All good advice--thanks! I have some basic maintenance stuff on order from Expedition Imports, so once I get my order, I'll do the plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, etc., and then I'll check into the other stuff. I'm pretty darn sure there is an exhaust leak. And as far as the vacuum leak, I'll check that as well. Probably won't be a week or two, though, since I have a more immediate problem in that the Pinzgauer batteries are drained after a couple of days! I just had my wife "rescue" me with the jumper cables... She was happy to help, of course, but what an ego buster having my Pinzgauer 710K "rescued" by a mini-van! -Jon
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

I just put a bottle in my 'K' and my 'M' and my Subaru will report back with results soon
710M 1972
710k 1974
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Just so people know, the higher than 87 or 88 octane fuels don't do any good on a Pinz. The higher octane only benefits a motor with higher compression. It doesn't do anything else.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Just so people know, the higher than 87 or 88 octane fuels don't do any good on a Pinz. The higher octane only benefits a motor with higher compression. It doesn't do anything else.
I understand your logic... but as soon as I started running high octane fuel, both of my trucks started running MUCH better. I was having an ethanol at high elevation problem and the vapor lock stopped being a daily issue as soon as I went from 85 to 91 octane.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Didnt Jim L post somewhere that higher octane fuel has a positive effect?

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7300&hilit=octane&start=30
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

A few while ago we were up in Prescott and stopped by to chat with Thilo. He had done some research on fuels and my take was that if fuel says "up to 10% ethenol" was an over-all statement. Higher octains had little to no ethenol. Saving the good stuff for the bottom shelf fuels. :x There is a chance for misunderstanding on my part with these statements,but ALL my trucks run better on higher octane fuels,esp with respect to detonation.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

M Wehrman wrote:A few while ago we were up in Prescott and stopped by to chat with Thilo. He had done some research on fuels and my take was that if fuel says "up to 10% ethenol" was an over-all statement. Higher octains had little to no ethenol. Saving the good stuff for the bottom shelf fuels. :x There is a chance for misunderstanding on my part with these statements,but ALL my trucks run better on higher octane fuels,esp with respect to detonation.
Mark
I live in Colorado where (as of Feb 2012) all grades of gas now must have 20% ethanol added. Higher octane is now a requirement for a good running Pinz in my experience.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Seafoam users. Just remember if you are using seafoam, you need to burn up the tank within about 30 days, it is not a fuel stableizer and could work at removing the red sealent in your gas tank. I use a bottle in my older vehicals every year but drive them daily until the treated tank is used up.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

westernair wrote: Just remember seafoam, it is not a fuel stableizer .

The bottle states that among the list of it's many uses, one is as a fuel stabilizer. But that's a moot point now since the ethanol added to the gas makes it break down far quicker now (like in four weeks) anyway. So even with a fuel stabilizer, you are still better off just draining all of the fuel that won't get used up within a month. That way you don't get any gumming in the fuel system.