After hard driving, idle is now higher

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

After hard driving, idle is now higher

Post by audiocontr »

I drove the 712 for an hour each way over the weekend at a speed of about 60 mph average. Even had the pedal to the floor to make it up a hill. I noticed on the way home that the idle had bumped up a couple of hundred rpms. Any idea what could cause such a thing?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

idle is now higher

Post by krick3tt »

Not a clue, mine does that all the time. It goes back down after a bit. I did replace the ends of the linkage and it seems to help some.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Mine does the same thing. I haven't found the source but really I haven't looked too hard.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
NYPinz

Post by NYPinz »

My idle was very inconsistent when I got my 710. Its idling pretty good now after doing a few things. I sprayed lithuim grease on all the linkage joints/pedal pivots/hand throttle. It had a slight bit of stick before doing that which has now been eliminated. I also found that the choke can be quite variable when you push it down as to how much it actually closes. I havent looked for the cause of this yet but it can make the truck idle a few hundred rpm higher if it doesnt go down all the way. Usually pushing it down a second time after driving a bit gets it right in my case.
Cant wait to get my Pinz!
chp-sk8

high idle

Post by chp-sk8 »

I know that I am a FNG on here, but I have run into this on a few of my othere cars. It has all gone back to vacume leaks. Some were loose header bolts, and some were looks intake bolts. Take a look. Hope this helps.
Hell, lets just wing it and see were we end up!