Safety Wire Oil Pump Bolts?

Engine troubles? Try here.
NC_Mog

Safety Wire Oil Pump Bolts?

Post by NC_Mog »

I'm finally getting around to fixing the threads in the block for the two bolts nearest the drive gear. Is safety wiring these two bolts over kill? Should I just stick with lock washers and not both spendin the bucks for a safety wire kit. After having both bolts fall out into the oil pan, I'm concerned and want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thoughts?
Kimball
1979 712M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Lock washers will fail, you must use the wave type washers under the bolts, also replace the copper mounting gasket and don't forget to insert the 2 locating guides(they keep the pump aligned on the drive gear.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Thomas-E

Pump Bolts

Post by Thomas-E »

If you can FIND metric bolts drilled for safety wire, I would use safety wire. Find some small diameter (.032") safety wire, it's not hard at all to do. You could probably ask at any airport for some help, likely get a couple of feet of wire for free from a friendly mechanic or home-builder.

Run the wire through one bolt-head, fold the wire in half and run one end clockwise around the head to the other wire and begin twisting the two ends into a nice snug twisted piece until it is just barely long enough to slide one of the wires into the other bolt-head. Now you will want to insert one wire into the bolt-head so that you will put tension on the head in a clockwise direction. Run the loose end, clockwise around the head until it can be twisted with the other wire.

Twist the two together for about an inch and a half tightly, cut the untwisted loose end off. It is a good idea to take a pair of needle nose pliers and fold the remaining twisted in half and try to fold it in a way that keeps it flat, so that it is not in the way of any rotating parts.

If you can find the right mechanic he'll probably show you this procedure.

If not using safety wire check for proper torque, use wave washer AND thread lock on the threads.
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

Thanks guys. I'll track down the wave style washers. I may hedge and run safety wire as well. It was luck that I found the two bolts in the bottom of the oil pan. Having cheated failure once, I'm looking for an iron clad installation.

With safety wiring, they do have safety wire washers that have tabs to bend up around the bolt and a tab to run the wire through. I'm thinking of placing these between the wave washer and the bolt.
Kimball
1979 712M
krick3tt

safety wire

Post by krick3tt »

I spent many moons as a aircraft tech in the service of our country. The max number of bolt heads to safety wire in series is three. If you are only doing two that is fine. There are special pliers for this but as the man said needle nose will work. Don't twist the wire so tight that it strains it to the breaking point.
Check McMaster Carr .. think I saw some wire there once.
or these guys...http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/pr ... index.html
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford