Sticky choke cable--what should I use to lube the cable?

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jon_Gilbart

Sticky choke cable--what should I use to lube the cable?

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

As the title says, the choke cable located towards the right side front of the driver's seat is VERY sticky and doesn't want to move much anymore. I took the engine cover out to check out the cable and noticed there is a little black plastic port about midway along the length of the cable with a cap on it--I'm guessing this is supposed to be used to lubricate the cable. Question is--what should I use to lubricate it? Should I try to use a standard grease gun like is used on Zerk fittings even though this doesn't look like a standard Zerk fitting? Thanks. -Jon
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I use gun oil, you may want to remove and clean the cable if oiling wont free it up enough.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

You might also want to check the action of each carb choke itself to make sure that both are moving freely. Mine had this problem and the return springs were also weak.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've used gun oil and also 3-in-1. Both made a major difference but I think gun oil is probably the best.

It seems no matter what I do, the choke is never as smooth as I've experienced in other equipment. Perhaps, like michaelh712 said, the chokes themselves are tight.

Paul C
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Every choke cable I've seen has been kinked at the back of the rear carb. I had to take the cable loose from the carb levers, pull it out, get it straightened, and carefully reinstalled (and this is a good time to oil or grease it as you please). My plastic fitting was melted shut, so I had to lube it the old fashion way.

Although it moves much better it still takes a several finger grip to pull it out.

Jim M.
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

The plastic fitting part way along the choke cable is just a little reservoir to hold a few drops of oil over a hole in the side of the cable. It can easily slide around so its a good idea to make sure it still lines up with the hole.
Jon_Gilbart

Thanks for the advice!

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

All good advice! I went ahead and used the gun oil to add a couple of drops in the plastic resevoir (although it didn't occur to me that it could have slid around and no longer lines up w/ the hole--need to check that again later), also around the rod that activates the choke, and finally the 2 carbs, themselves. Thanks to all for the good advice. I will take it out completely when time allows and lube the whole thing, but for now--mission accomplished--it's no longer stuck! -Jon