Float level question

Engine troubles? Try here.
og

Float level question

Post by og »

Manual states that float level should be 16.5mm from the top of the carb body. How far from that value is still considered OK, in a sense that repair can wait. How does the performance of the carb vary (from a driving perspective) when level is 16.5mm and say 14mm or 12mm?

OG
OG
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If float level is low, you should first check fuel pump output(volume).
However if fuel supply is sufficient, you may need to check the float and float valve shim.
Poor accelleration / stumbling / running dry(big power loss) at highway speeds are symptoms of low float level/ poor fuel flow.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
og

Post by og »

Thank you Jim! My level is actually high when measured from ground or "low" if measured from the top of the carb bowl. I measure about 13mm instead of 16.5mm. So I am guessing there is more fuel in the carb then it should be. Would increased consumption be one of consequences?
OG
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I measure about 13mm...Would increased consumption be one of consequences?
I'll try to beat Jim L. to the punch and say, yes -- and likely your needle valves need replacing. This is exactly what he told me about mine!

Jim M.
712W with EFI and 710M with Jim L's carb repairs (runs great!)
og

Post by og »

I was figuring 12 MPG was a bit steep for a 710M with rebuilt carb bases, Pertronix, proper timing and properly adjusted and balanced carbs.
OG
og

Post by og »

For what is worth, I dug up some Pinzgauer documentation and found that carb float tolerance is +/-1mm.
OG