Carbs...againnnnnnnn

Engine troubles? Try here.
Jerbearyukon

Carbs...againnnnnnnn

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So I got a young fella here to rebuild my carbs in hopes that he could learn about pinz's...well it's running like crap and I should have just bit the bullet when Dennis told me to send them to him so he could rebuild and set them up for me (didn't want to overwork poor Dennis...he is running flat out there).

Anyway I got him on the phone and sure enough Linda said he has been working 7 days a week at about 13 hours per days since the second week in september.

He told me to pull them off and send them down....Maybe I will finally see what a pinzgauer performs like...I know it has never really run right since I've owned it...yes it ran but not the way it should.

Wish me luck

Jer
krick3tt

carbs

Post by krick3tt »

Jer, is this guy a VW man? Maybe two at once is a bit much.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

Dennis is THE MAN. Made my pinz super happy after I got it down to him. There's a reason he's working like he is - his skills are sought after, and he's a good guy. Send him he carbs and dont beef it it takes a little extra time, it's all worth it.
712 amb. under construction.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Since our friend from the land of ice and snow brought it up, are we to expect that the carburated Pinz will be harder to start in the cold (32F and below)?

My starter cranking is enthsiastic and seems to have normal tempo and pitch (voltage drops to 20 when I hit the starter, jumps back to 24 when I take my finger off), but it's taking many, many tries to fire it up, and then it fires one--cylinder--at--a--time slowly for10 -20 seconds before the familiar rumble starts in. I'm tempted to remove the air filter and try starter spray into the air intake.. but don't want to screw up a carb in a back fire.
Carburator problem vs. battery?
krick3tt

carbs againnnn

Post by krick3tt »

Ed,

Are you using the choke?
Even in the quasi extremes of Denver I have a bit of trouble starting right off, need that extra bit of German engineering by way of the choke. and then it is smoky till it warms. I let it idle a bit then decrease the choke to a smooth idle. Dennis has tuned me up to pass the emissions test and it runs a lot better. Still have the higher idle after running for awhile and I stop at a light. It has been that way since I left CA.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

RE: starter spray take a look at this thread

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ting+fluid

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

They are on etheir way - I know Dennis personally even stay at his house when I come through and babysit the kids for a couple of nights to give them some alone time...THEY NEED IT TRUST ME.

I use the choke to get her started when it's cold - but it hardly runs with the choke off though.

anyway Dennis said he will get her running like a champ..wish I lived a bit closer like 20 hours driving and I would just drive it there...hahaha

Jer
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:idea: Are you remembering to place the intake air-flap in the cold weather position? Page 90 in the operator manual and page 55 in the repair manual.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

ok this is the Yukon - we never get to put it in the UP position

:roll:

hahahaha

Jer
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Ok, thanks for the thread on the starter fluid. No starter fluid will be used!.
Yes, have been putting on the choke.

The first time this happened, I spoke with Jim L., who told me to wipe out the dizzy cap condensation. It worked like a charm. But only that one time, no benefit to wiping the second time.
I had to put two electric and one propane heater under and infront of the engine for about 40 minutes, then it started reluctantly the morning of the snow run.
Today, it just cranks, not even a hint of firing.

One other thing I must admit to: I put a can of SeaFoam in a full gas tank (35 gal) about 1/2 tank ago, had been running wonderful till the cold hit...but did that do something to the carbs? :oops:
Ed
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Ed,

Did you pull the air box and dump a little gas (like a tablespoon) into the carbs? Did it fire? If so, I'd check the fuel supply, ie. filter, solenoids, pump

If it didn't fire, I'd check the plugs, to see how they look and if they're fouled. If black or wet, I'd guess the fuel supply is ok. You might try to clean them and regap them and see what happens.

Also check previous posts regarding a syndrome coil failure of the Pertronix "flamethrower" (or some such name) coils, if you've got one. The good news is that Pertronix has been terrific on covering such failures under warranty.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Granted I do not live with the extremes of the Great White North,but on a similer note,when my truck sits for a long while it is a bear to start. Starting fliud BAD,carb spray-brake kleen-WD-40 works w/o the extreme consequinces.I pull the breather hose off the oil fill neck and give it some squirts into the airbox. This saves a lot of cranking to fill the bowls. just a thought. Gotta put on my Parka,it's like 50 degrees outside! :lol:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Spray WD-40 directly into the breather tube when cranking?
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Hey Mark you need to drive it more if you need to do that buddy :P

Mine is my daily driver and it's been different without it in the past few days. Well the walking is fine - lots of snow falling here....going to ride my horse this weekend and see if I can get a coyote with my bow.

It will be a great day no matter what?

Jer