How the hell does this work?

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

How the hell does this work?

Post by spandit »

Went off-roading in the Pinz last weekend for a 4x4 trial. Too big and heavy to be a serious contender but had fun anyway.

On one particularly steep slope, the engine kept cutting out just as I was nearing the crest. I had no option but to let it roll backwards but since it was still in gear, the engine restarted. I don't understand quite how - it was in either first or second, with all 3 levers down, so wouldn't turning the wheels backwards try to reverse the rotation of the engine?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Robin: Have you been on the cooking sherry already ????
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Think carefully about what happened. Did you press the clutch in when you felt like it was stalling? If you rolled back in gear there is no way it will have roll started going backwards in a forward gear! I'm guessing it almost died because of a fuel supply problem as you went really steep, you dipped the clutch, rolled back a bit and caught it on the brakes and as it leveled out it sprang back into life idling as your foot was on the clutch?
spandit

Post by spandit »

I suppose that could have happened - all went a bit quickly, to be honest (not a pleasant feeling but it was a properly run trial so there was nobody close behind me!). That said, I definitely had the clutch up whilst rolling back to try and slow the rate down (rather than using the useless brakes)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Malahki

Post by Malahki »

Don't know if it possible with a pinzgauer but I once had an older CAT motor run backwards. Stalled it under lots of load just as I was putting the clutch in, motor recoiled and fired back up. Exaust was coming out the air intake.