It's the LAW

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

It's the LAW

Post by spandit »

In the UK, when you are replacing an exhaust, it is MANDATORY to fire the engine up once the old exhaust is off. I presume it is the same in the USA as well? Standing there with a beer whilst you appreciate your vehicle sounding like a WW2 aircraft is optional but recommended

Out of the 8 bolts holding the muffler on, I managed to undo 2 - the rest of them (5 on the flange, one on the rear) sheared off - which was fine as bolts are pretty inexpensive and I'd be using new ones anyway
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Spot on Robin ! You really MUST carry out this operation. I think it's laid out in the MOT Manual, just after monosodium glutamate (?) That said, the burble-burble-burble from an exhaustless Haf on idle is pure music!!

Keep up the good work mate.
Time for my pills.
Mike
712M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

It's similar on this side of the pond.

Here in Wisconsin, this is only a mandatory procedure in the case of replacing headers on Jeeps with V8s. But, after installing the collectors, you are also required to drive the vehicle around the block prior to installing the header exhausts. (It's our way of greeting the neighbors, and encouraging them to lock up their children.)

We don't do it for fun, we do it because we have to. The Jeeps are probably louder, but either way, it's a good time.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Must be like the practice in under developed regions of spinning donuts in a remote field. :twisted: I guess what is acceptable behavior in one region maybe frowned upon in another. :shock: In some areas firing a truck up with open headers may very well have the governing bodies trying to outlaw military or off-road vehicles. :cry:

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Ed,

This applies to any vehicle - my VW Golf, BMW 5-series and Land Rover Defender have, throughout the years, had the LAW applied to them!

The UK government are doing their level best to ban all motor vehicles - fuel price is on average $7.27 a gallon (that's 2.25 x the Californian prices, where gas/petrol is the most expensive in the US, I understand)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Byron

Post by Byron »

I have to admit, it was a nice sound to drive to when I tore my muffler off of my 710k and had to drive it home that way. It took me a week before my hearing fully came back. :twisted:
Byron Smith
1975 Pinzgauer 710k
Previous truck was a 1970 Unimog 404
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I would definitely think that the US have the same law. I mean, this is the great country that brought us the electric exhaust cutouts and that told us that we can have the number of cylinders we like as long as it is 8, arranged in a "V" fashion. :lol:

An idling V8 with a straight muffler (or no muffler!) and a bit of lope is pure music...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
shaGGY58703

Post by shaGGY58703 »

I did that with a 1965 Ford Galaxy500 with a 390. got the attention of the whole neighborhood and the local police officer. got a noise ordance ticket. But man did it sound sweet, come to think about it, our neighbors didn't talk to us for a while.
Anything worth doing, is worth doing right
shaGGY58703

Post by shaGGY58703 »

I did that with a 1965 Ford Galaxy500 with a 390. got the attention of the whole neighborhood and the local police officer. got a noise ordance ticket. But man did it sound sweet, come to think about it, our neighbors didn't talk to us for a while.
Anything worth doing, is worth doing right
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Yes, I think it is mandatory in every state I've lived in. It is required of aircooled VWs and Mustangs as well.