New muffler fitted

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

New muffler fitted

Post by spandit »

Unlike pattern parts I've bought in the past for my Land Rovers, this one actually fitted - didn't need to swear at it once and my hammer collection remained untouched!

Makes a big difference to the sound and according to Pinzmeister Nigel, it will help with performance as well, being slightly freer flowing than stock. Whether or not this is true, the fact that it doesn't have any holes in it (apart from the normal 3!) should make running a bit smoother...

--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Total price?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
spandit

Post by spandit »

£403 delivered... and that was the cheaper of the quotes...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

What condition was your heat shield above the exhaust? I'm just in the process of fitting mine and there's not much left of the heat shield so I think I shall need to replace it.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Don't think it was in that bad a condition. There's not much above it to get hot anyway - what's it going to do? Dry the sodden carpet?

You could probably repair yours by riveting on some thin ally or stainless
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

When the P.O. of my truck installed the new muffler and high exhaust he mounted everything very close to the heat shield and body. When I happened to put my hand on the inside floor above the muffler and the exhaust pipe the surfaces were almost hot enough to burn me, :shock: certainly too hot to leave my hand there for more than a few seconds. After lowering the muffler and pipe about an inch the floor now merely gets warm to the touch. I suspect I’ll still drop it another half inch. This was defiantly a contributing factor to high summer cabin temperatures. I may also look into adding more heat shielding.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

What better way to spend a morning than lying in the snow in the muck under a Pinzgauer trying to persuade an exhaust system to fit!

Well that's the new exhaust in place. I fabricated a new heat shield as the old one was rusted to pieces. I also dealt with the rust on the heat exchanger so hopefully won't be working down there again for a while!
spandit

Post by spandit »

Character building stuff! Did the bolts put up much of a fight? I got 2 out of 8 undone & sheared the rest
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The dismantling went smoothly with every nut and bolt coming undone easily, but that was because 3 years ago when I fitted the previous mild steel exhaust I used stainless steel bolts and copper grease on every fitting. The new one has been fitted the same but I've switched to lithium grease as apparently it resists heat better.

Perhaps those in the know can comment what is best for what:

Lithium grease
Graphite grease
Copper grease