Carbs freezing up - anyone else have this just for your info

Engine troubles? Try here.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Jerbear, I run here in Quebec in the minus 20 and 30 celcius and what I found is that if I want a good running Pinz in the cold you have to shut that front grill off. Mine is blocked all the way and it is going great with no oil in the filter or anywhere.

I did a nice snowstorm run lately and everything went fine 8)

Denis
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

With all the engineering that went in to the Pinz and considering where its intended operational area was/is, it is hard for me to believe that a cold weather kit wasn't part of the standard issue if it were needed.

What did they do if it got cold in the alps?
krick3tt

carbs

Post by krick3tt »

Blackstak,

There is an intake that has a thermostat in it for very cold places. I have seen this on some pinzies and it is in the parts manual. Mine is not equipped with one, just regular intake.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

kric3kett...interesting..do you happen to remember which drawing?
krick3tt

carbs

Post by krick3tt »

I have seen it in Group 1 35 in the parts manual. parts 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88. (7121190802)

It replaces the stock one I have. 65 (7123190032/30)
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

It's available as a kit from SAV: http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 121195019/

I have it installed on mine and it did seem to make a difference.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

carbs

Post by krick3tt »

Paul,

You are in a cold climate... like I am now. Haven't lived in snow since I was a lad in Ohio.

Was this a simple install? I am thinking about it. How does it affect summer operation?

Morris
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I would rate it a simple installation. The most difficult part is drilling 2 holes in the air intake for the vacuum line fitting (item 92 on the Group 01-35 page). They do not provide a template for the location so some careful planning is in order.

The vacuum line (#91) connects at the same banjo fitting that the vacuum line for the distributor connects to, so you will need a Y or T fitting from your local auto parts store.

You'll probably also need 30-05-55 #7122190128/N, the hose that goes from the air intake to the heater valve, unless you already have one.

I don't think it affects summer operation at all since the thermostat just opens wide when it's warm, allowing air to flow directly in.

When I installed mine I wasn't able to do a direct comparison with/without because it wasn't cold enough but I do feel it was worth the investment.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Doesn't the fancy thermostat thing just accomplish the same as the manual down-for-winter up-for-summer lever ? (part01-35- 65)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes, the function is the same but it has a much tighter fit and adjusts the cold/warm mix gradually (in theory). It's not just an on/off choice, from what I've seen.

Here's an installed one:

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

After I saw Paul's, I got one of these too. I agree, it's easy to install. I got mine off Ebay, as Willy occasionally lists some of his stuff there, so I got a deal on it too.

IMHO, the truck seems to run a bit more smoothly when starting in cold weather. It didn't seem like a HUGE improvement, but it did seem better. It might prove to be more important to folks who drive in the cold more. Because Wis. uses salt on the roads, I don't drive it that often once snow flies.

Paul U.

ps, P.C., I'm always jealous of your nice clean engine bay/s!
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

SAV now has the kit listed on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 712wt_1101

Merry Christmas to All!

Paul C
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well Dennis has finished the carbs and this is what he found.

Lots of resin build up so he had to soak them for four days. The floats were too low and the choke (because of the build up) were sticking and never went fully off.

So they are sending my carbs out next week so it will be good to get them back.

Anyway just the update - I will check into the pre=heater

Jer
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Probably could have solved your problem yourself..with a few applications of sea-foam..not to say that a rebuild isnt nice..but I am sure so will be the bill!!!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M