Confused about clutch wear limits

Engine troubles? Try here.
spandit

Confused about clutch wear limits

Post by spandit »

Just taken my clutch out and there are no big gauges etc.

I have measured across the whole thing, and it's about 9.8mm (repair manual states 10.6 ± 0.3mm)

However, repair manual also states:

"Lining thickness on each side = 3.9mm". Mine are measuring at about 4mm each side. Does this mean the leaf springs between the two plates are shot?

If I end up replacing the clutch, is it mandatory to replace both bits or can I just change the friction plate?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, and my manual is at my shop. So take any advice with that in mind.

I read your post about the hex wrench, but I'm wondering why you're considering replacing the clutch parts (other than just "because I'm in there already", which is a valid enough choice to make, I guess).
Lining thickness on each side = 3.9mm
No manual - is this a nominal spec for new? Or minimum acceptable? If minimum, you're pretty close to due.
Does this mean the leaf springs between the two plates are shot?
Are you talking about the pressure plate?
both bits?
Meaning "clutch disc" and "pressure plate"? I believe standard procedure would be to replace both. But if money's an issue, and the pressure plate is in good repair, it might be ok for a while. I'd be concerned that the fingers were weakened with age.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But then, my advice is worth what you paid for it. :lol: Good luck.
spandit

Post by spandit »

undysworld wrote:...I'm wondering why you're considering replacing the clutch parts (other than just "because I'm in there already", which is a valid enough choice to make, I guess)
It was partly that - seeing as I had the gearbox off anyway to replace te bellhousing, changing the clutch is an easy step. I thought I'd take it off just to check it wasn't damaged by the hex-wrench
Lining thickness on each side = 3.9mm No manual - is this a nominal spec for new? Or minimum acceptable? If minimum, you're pretty close to due.
It just says exactly what I quoted, doesn't mention minimum.
Does this mean the leaf springs between the two plates are shot? Are you talking about the pressure plate?

No, the friction plate (the bit with non-asbestos brake pad material) - it's two rings of friction material with thin sprung metal in between them (not talking about the damping springs)
... my advice is worth what you paid for it
True enough. I think I'll put it back on as it wasn't causing problems before. It's not that difficult to drop the gearbox again in future, now I know, especially as the bolts aren't siezed...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

Assuming you hadn't had troubles beforehand, that's probably what I'd be doing too. IMHO, since you're doing your own wrenching, it's not that big a deal to pull the tranny.

Regarding the clutch thickness, I've got a brand new disc over at my shop. I'll measure it tomorrow and post the dimensions.

Paul
spandit

Post by spandit »

Cheers, Paul. Haven't quite worked out how I'm going to lift the 'box back on yet...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

I measured each fiber disk, they are 3.92mm thick, new. Yours sounds good to me.

I've found it's easiest to just horse it back in there with a friend.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Paul. As soon as I stop vomiting/shivering I'll refit it...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

Sounds like flu. My condolences.

Last time I was in Mexico, the local pharmacy recommended a flu remedy to my traveling companion. She'd flown in from Japan, about a 15 hr. flight, and picked up some crap from the flight. Eat three or four lemons and drink copious amounts of tequila.

Whatever, it works. (Either that, or by the time you sober up the flu is over.) Good luck.

Regards,
Paul
spandit

Post by spandit »

Feeling a bit better now but it's still raining here & don't fancy crawling in the mud to fit anything right now
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition